Associate Director, Sports and Fitness
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2450
Title: Associate Director, Sports and Fitness
Department: Sports and Fitness
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Student Support
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 14
Grade Min: $52,981
Grade Mid: $63,578
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Associate Director, Sports and Fitness assists and supports the Director in the overall operation and administration of the Student Life Center and the Sports and Fitness programs.
- Develops, administers, and analyzes multiple budgets, financial records, and processes.
- Develops, administers, and analyzes assessment processes of department programming.
- Develops administrative reports; ensures enforcement of university policies and guidelines concerning departmental financial compliance and departmental assessment compliance.
- Directs the recruitment, selection, training, supervision, and evaluation of professional staff; oversees the recruitment, selection, and training of temporary, part time, and student staff for the department; recruits, trains, and supervises interns.
- Manages the coordination, proposal, marketing, and facilitation of health and fitness programs.
- Implements and administers policies and procedures; recommends modifications to methodologies and procedures.
- Serves as department and university representative as necessary; promotes university advancement through collaborative efforts with community entities.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Full Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Master's degree in Sports Management, Health and Behavioral Science, or a related field
- Minimum of four (4) years of related job experience
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the Sport and Fitness operations in a higher education environment, and of the associated trends, issues, and accepted practices.
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office, PeopleSoft, and Facility Management Software;
- Strong leadership skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to teach group exercises;
- Ability to supervise professional staff;
- Ability to train others; ability to create and implement department and facility policies, programs, and procedures.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment 2 to 4 hours and a sports field or court 2 to 4 hours.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks. Work involves occasional exposure to inclement weather and extreme temperatures. May, on rare occasions, be required to work near moving mechanical parts or in hazardous traffic conditions. Must have good spatial awareness, precise hand-eye coordination, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors. May be required to move items of up to 30lbs.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Manages department or section operations consistent with department/section goals and objectives.
- Administers the department/section budget ensuring effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment through motivation, encouragement, and mentorship of staff.
- Ensures department/section compliance with university and department policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Keeps management apprised of department/section activities and issues requiring senior management input.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
- Demonstrates the ability to express information clearly and concisely in writing.
- Formulates and writes information to effectively communicate messages, ideas, and/or concepts for the intended recipient or audience.
- Uses appropriate words and tone, and correct grammar.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.