Assistant Director, Graduate Studies
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2339
Title: Assistant Director, Graduate Studies
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Enrollment Management
Job Sub-Family: Admissions
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 15
Grade Min: $58,809
Grade Mid: $70,571
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Assistant Director, Graduate Studies provides overarching academic and admissions support for graduate programs, graduate students, and graduate faculty.
- Advises, counsels, and assists graduate students with program registration and application process, maintaining all relevant records and data
- Provides leadership for program development, operational procedures, organizational structure, and enhancement for graduate programs
- Provides oversight, direction, coordination, accountability, and management support for all activities and initiatives within the graduate programs
- Develops and manages the administrative infrastructure and support for graduate programs
- Advises potential graduate students on program and degree requirements and policy
- Plans, coordinates, and conducts recruitment programs for prospective students in consultation and collaboration with graduate program leadership, ensuring that all promotional information, including web content, is relevant and current.; creates presentations, schedules and leads information sessions, and conducts new student orientations as necessary
- Collaborates as necessary with academic chairs to ensure effective communication regarding program updates and student outcomes; provides information and data to the dean and academic chairs as necessary
- Participates in the admission and application process by conducting preliminary interviews, processing applications with supporting materials, and monitoring progress; assists with the enrollment process
- Supports the graduate leadership in the development and implementation of enforcing policies, processes, and procedures related to graduate studies
- Attends meetings and serves on committees and councils as required
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience
- None required
- Master's degree is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of graduate programs in a higher education environment and the related trends, issues, and accepted practices; Knowledge of graduate program admissions requirements and prerequisites; Knowledge of relevant university policies and procedures
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office, EAB Navigate, and PeopleSoft;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to make presentations;
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements;
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
- Must have precise hand-eye coordination and the ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 30lbs.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates the ability to advise and assist university students and/or prospective students with academic plans and course selection, financial options, career plans, and/or student opportunities.
- Shares relevant knowledge and insight to apprise students of the university's programs and services.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Listens and responds to student requests and concerns with patience and understanding.
- Treats students with respect.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.