Student Symposium on Clear Communication - Information for Presenters
What Projects can I present at the symposium?
Presentations can include asynchronous (prerecorded) and synchronous (live) talks, posters, videos, and other types; however, proposals for projects should fit under one of the following categories:
- Research Projects in Clear Communication (collaborative and individual): oral presentations and digital posters related to clear communication. Introduce the results of one of your research papers (such as research studies, literature reviews, annotated bibliographies, and similar projects) related to clear communication.
- Products and Concepts in Clear Communication:
- tutorials and concept overviews; present a tutorial or a concept that teaches your target audience specific skills and/or knowledge;
- deliverables from service learning and community engagement projects that showcase the application of clear communication principles; during your presentation, introduce your product and explain how you developed it, for whom, for what purpose, and with what outcomes.
NOTE: You must list and acknowledge all assisting and participating faculty, community partners, funders, and/or collaborators in the presentation. Include proper APA citations of all external published resources used in the presentation (for example, graphics, pictures, data, and/or direct quotations and paraphrase).
How long should my presentation be?
Your presentation should be about 10-15 minutes long. Be prepared to answer any questions from the audience.
What do I need to submit?
- Abstract. Submit one abstract per participant or a team via Qualtrics. Prepare a 200-word abstract that contains a brief overview of your presentation: its major goals and objectives. Submit the abstract no later than September 7, 2023. All abstracts will be competitively reviewed by a panel of faculty. For sample abstracts, visit our website.
- Authorization for Use of Image, Voice, Performance, Artwork or Likeness. We might take screenshots and record the presentations during the event. So we request that you complete the media release form (pdf) to allow us to publish some of that material on the SSCC website.
What are the major SSCC dates and deadlines?
Submit your abstract and authorization form
(See What do I need submit above?)
Thursday, September 7, 2023
Acceptance emails are sent to students. Registration opens.
Wednesday, September 13, 2023
Students must send a confirmation of attendance.
Friday, September 15, 2023
Complimentary presentation workshops are offered to presenters.
Monday, September 25 – Wednesday, October 4, 2023
A conference schedule is available online
Monday, October 2, 2023
SSCC takes place virtually.
Thursday, October 5, 2023
Friday, December 1, 2023
What is the preliminary schedule for the event?
10:30 am - 10:45 am
Introduction to the symposium
10:45 am - 11:15 am
Invited speaker's presentation
11:15 am - 11:30 am
11:30 am - 12:45 pm
Morning concurrent sessions
12:45 pm - 1:30 pm
Lunch (on your own); please review asynchronous presentations
1:30 pm - 2:45 pm
Afternoon concurrent sessions; feedback on asynchronous presentations
2:45 pm - 3:00 pm
Closing remarks, Exit survey