UH System Student Regent
All completed application materials must be submitted to the student government association of your respective university for full consideration. Applicants must include a Student Regent UH System Application Form and an Office of the Governor Appointment Application.
Friday, December 9, 2022
By Friday, December 9, 2022, the student government association from each UH System institution should, from among the applications received, select up to five (5) applicants as the student government association’s recommendations for the position of student regent. From applications sent from the student government association throughout the UH System, the Chancellor shall select a minimum of two (2) and no more than four (4) to send to the Governor by January 31, 2023.
Thursday, June 1, 2023
On June 1, 2023, or shortly thereafter, the governor shall appoint one of the applicants to serve as the student regent for the University of Houston System for a one-year term expiring on May 31, 2024.
Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB)
Non-Voting Student Representative
Section 61.0225 of the Texas Education Code authorizes the Governor to appoint a non-voting student representative to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) for a term not to exceed one year beginning this year on June 1, 2022 and ending on May 31, 2023. The student representative shall enjoy the same rights as a regularly appointed board member, except the right to vote or be counted towards a quorum for official board business. The student representative serves without compensation.
For initial consideration, nominees must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Be enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student in a public institution of higher education;
- Be in good academic standing as determined by the institution;
- Commit to fulfill all board-related responsibilities during their term of service, to include attendance at no less than 3 of the 4 quarterly board meetings, and 3 of the 4 board committee meetings as scheduled; and
- Have a strong drive and self-motivation to contribute to the progress of higher education in Texas.
To aid the Governor in his selection, the President of each University will recommend students based on applications provided by the Student Government Association (SGA).
If appointed, the student representative must continue to meet the following criteria for the length of their term:
- Maintain a GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale;
- Maintain enrollment at a public institution of higher education for the duration of term; and0
- Maintain a state-wide perspective on higher education (as opposed to representing any single college or university).
Hard copies of this information can be obtained from the Student Government Office located at the University of Houston (UH), University of Houston – Clear Lake (UHCL), University of Houston – Downtown (UHD) and University of Houston – Victoria (UHV). All completed application materials must be submitted to the respective student government association by Monday, November 28, 2022, for full consideration. Applicants must include the THECB Application Form and an Office of the Governor Appointment Application.
The SGA at UH, UHCL, UHD, or UHV will make recommendations to the respective Vice President for Student Affairs. The Vice President for Student Affairs will make recommendations to their President, who will nominate to the Governor. The application (due Monday, November 28, 2022) must follow the Governor's Appointments Division requirements, including the following documents:
For more information, please contact the Dean of Students Office at email@example.com.