Unemployment Insurance Resources
Texas Workforce Commission –
When to Apply for Unemployment Benefits
Apply for benefits as soon as you are unemployed because your claim starts the week you complete the application. However, you may not apply until after your last work day. TWC cannot pay benefits for weeks before your claim effective date.
How to Apply
Information You Need to Apply
- Your last employer’s business name, address and phone number
- First and last dates (month, day and year) you worked for your last employer. If you worked for your last employer on more than one occasion, provide the most recent employment dates.
- Number of hours worked and pay rate if you worked the week you apply for benefits (Sunday through Saturday)
- Information about the normal wage for the job you are seeking
- Alien Registration number (if not a U.S. citizen)
Continuation of Healthcare Coverage – COBRA (if you had insurance with previous employer)
How to Manage Your Money While Unemployed
How much will I get from unemployment?
For most people, the basic rate for calculating EI benefits is 55% of your average insurable weekly earnings, up to a maximum amount. As of January 1, 2020, the maximum yearly insurable earnings amount is $54,200.
Remember: Employment Insurance payments are taxable income, and as such, they affect your taxes just like any other type of income, and in some cases, you may have to repay these benefits.