Urban Education M.A.
Affiliate yourself with groups to network and learn about the field
- Bilingual Education Student Organization (BESO) - active chapter at UHD
- Kappa Delta Pi International Honor Society in Education - active chapter at UHD
- Mathematical Association of America (MAA) – active chapter at UHD
- Urban Educators’ Literacy Society – active chapter at UHD
- National Education Association
- American Federation of Teachers
- National Association for the Education of Young Children
Explore Career-Specific Websites
Research local organizations that may offer field experiences to students pursuing an Urban Education degree.
- Aldine Independent School District
- Pasadena Independent School District
- Harmony Public Schools
- Spring Branch Independent School District
- Houston Independent School District
- Alief Independent School District
- Cypress Fairbanks Independent School District
- Humble Independent School District
- Yes Prep
- Fort Bend Independent School District
- Klein Independent School District
- Citizen Schools
- Galena Park Independent School District
- New Caney Independent School District
- Monarch School
What is a Master of Arts in Teaching with Texas Teacher Certification?
Students pursuing a Master of Arts in Teaching with Texas Teacher Certification will
acquire the knowledge and skills needed to provide quality education to underprivileged
youth by utilizing classroom-based research methodology to support best instructional
practices. This program focuses on three major areas of education, including 1) early
childhood through 6th grade with an ESL (English as a Second Language) Supplemental
Certification, 2) upper elementary through middle school (4-8) with an ESL Supplemental
Certification, and 3) a secondary subject area, also with an ESL Supplemental Certification
(requires 24 credit hours of undergraduate course work for desired subject area).
Upon completion of the program, students will be eligible to sit for the Texas Examinations
of Educator Standards (TExES) exams in order to obtain teaching certification.