Planned Parenthood Of Houston & SE Texas
Houston, TX 77004
Planned Parenthood of Houston and Southeast Texas (PPHSET) seeks to strengthen our presence throughout our service area. We wish to educate the community about our mission and vision. We need a student intern from September through May. This means you!
You will be organizing and coordinating educational events on campus and in the community, working, helping to promote student activism on reproductive health issues and working with PPHSET staff and interns to promote issue-based campaigns through phone banks, canvassing and on-line activities. Overall, the mission is to build a new generation of supporters and advocates for those who share Planned Parenthood’s vision.
First of all, you are in for the experience of a lifetime. Grassroots organizing is a challenging activity; you will have to be innovative, make contacts, and persevere when ideas do not go as planned. Training in organizing and advocacy will be provided, as well as an orientation to the organization.
Description of Internship
The intern will work to:
- Coordinate a membership recruitment campaign for Planned Parenthood Action Network (PPAN)
- Participate in phone bank and canvassing events to recruit supporters of Planned Parenthood
- Establish significant contacts with existing student groups and with other student leaders
- Outreach at concerts, fairs, and parades to potential supporters of Planned Parenthood
- Organize students to register and to vote
- Explore forming campus coalitions to promote awareness on our issues
- Staff tables with PPHSET information on campus and in the community
- Communicate with students, faculty, PPHSET staff and interns
- Sustain energy around Planned Parenthood by writing occasional LTEs and Op Ed
- Identify and develop new ideas for reaching and engaging student and community supporters
- Be an undergraduate student
- Take initiative
- Be flexible in dealing with community members and Parenthood of Houston and Southeast Texas staff
- Be able to work with diverse people (all races, ages, sexual orientation, ethnicities, abilities, socioeconomic backgrounds, various sexual and reproductive health knowledge bases, etc.)
- Be computer literate, especially with Microsoft Office applications and online communities (Facebook, Twitter, blogs, etc.)
- Be willing to approach and talk to people you don’t know
- Have reliable transportation and access to a phone and computer
- Be willing to follow through with projects
- Participate in meetings among Planned Parenthood of Houston and Southeast Texas staff to keep everyone informed of your progress and activities
- Be dedicated
- Enjoy the process of organizing!
Contact Name and Number
Planned Parenthood of Houston and Southeast Texas
Meggin Baxter, Public Affairs Field Manager