Mercer Arboretum Botanic Gardens Special Event Internship
Mercer Arboretum & Botanic Gardens is a Harris County Precinct 4 park in the Humble/Spring area just north of Houston: In pursuit of an enhanced quality of life through a greater appreciation of the essential value and beauty of the plant world, Mercer Arboretum & Botanic Gardens seeks to establish and maintain a versatile botanical facility for Houston and the greater Gulf Coast region, serving the general public, the horticulture industry, and the scientific community. The Mercer Society is a 501(c)3 not for profit fund raising support group for Mercer Arboretum & Botanic Gardens.
Mercer Arboretum & Botanic Gardens seeks an energetic and creative individual to assist with the planning and implementation of The Mercer Society fund-raising events. Unpaid internship. Time frame: Nov.-Mar. March Mart is the premier fund-raising 2-day plant sale in the Gulf Coast area.
The March Mart Intern will assist in planning & implementing event projects, to include (but not limited to):
- work with the Volunteer Coordinator & TMS director with planning, logistics, advertising and record-keeping
- work with The Mercer Society (TMS)Grower on the March Mart plant sale
- data entry in Access database to produce a published plant guide
- data entry for plant signage in Word documents
- assist with advertising and sponsorship opportunities
- includes hands-on work in greenhouses, potting shed and northside nursery compound
- working within event timeline
- working with proprietary information
- interfacing with Harris County staff, Mercer Society staff & board members and Volunteers
- organize & assist with sale set-up area including check-in and movement of plants to sale area
- assist & guide volunteers with final set-up, including staging, pricing and labeling plants and signage
- work at the March Mart event wherever needed
- other labor intensive jobs as assigned
Skills and Abilities
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work semi-independently & as a contributing team member
- Ability to learn quickly, and operate in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to meet project timelines and work within event budgets
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, especially Access database
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs., and work outdoors in heat, humidity, rain, cold and dust
Working towards or recently completed a degree in Event Planning, Marketing, or closely related field. Prefer a candidate with a background or interest in fund-raising events, parks, horticulture, and outdoor recreation.
How To Apply:
Please email a resume, cover letter, with three references to email@example.com.