Mercer Arboretum & Botanic Gardens Internship
Mercer Arboretum & Botanic Gardens is a Harris County Precinct 4 park in the Humble/Spring area just north of Houston: In pursuit of an enhanced quality of life through a greater appreciation of the essential value and beauty of the plant world, Mercer Arboretum & Botanic Gardens seeks to establish and maintain a versatile botanical facility for Houston and the greater Gulf Coast region, serving the general public, the horticulture industry, and the scientific community. The Mercer Society is a 501(c)3 not for profit fund raising support group for Mercer Arboretum & Botanic Gardens.
Mercer Arboretum & Botanic Gardens seeks an energetic and creative individual to assist with the planning and implementation of The Mercer Society fund-raising events. Unpaid Internship. Time frame: Jan-May. The Garden Party & Auction gala is the one evening event held in the gardens with an attendance of 200; a live & silent auction, gourmet meal, live music. The Volunteer Awards lunch is held outdoors in the spring to honor volunteer achievements from the prior year. The Intern will be able to list development and completion of the project on their resume.
The Special Events Intern will assist in planning & implementing event projects, to include (but not limited to):
- work with the Volunteer Coordinator on the Annual Volunteer Awards luncheon
- work with The Mercer Society Director of Operations on the Garden Party & Auction
- includes hands-on work preparing for and during the events held in April and May
- working within event timeline
- working with proprietary information
- assist committees with planning, promotion and record keeping
- prepare event awards, auction items, and associated paper
- plan and assist with event set-up area
- assist & guide volunteers with final set-up, day of the events
- coordinate with caterer and set-up
- work the events and troubleshoot as the event progresses
- other labor intensive jobs as assigned
Skills and Abilities
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work semi-independently & as a contributing team member
- Ability to learn quickly, and operate in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to meet project timelines and work within event budgets
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, especially Access database
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs., and work outdoors in heat, humidity, rain, cold and dust.
Working towards or recently completed a degree in Event Planning, Marketing, or closely related field. Prefer a candidate with a background or interest in fund-raising events, parks, horticulture, and outdoor recreation.
How To Apply:
Please email a resume, cover letter, with three references to email@example.com.