City of Houston Office of Emergency Management
5320 N Shepherd Drive, Houston, Texas 77091
Description of Internship
(un-paid) Minimum of 20 hrs/week with a flexible schedule (Spring or Summer of 2014)
The Communications Intern will assist with a range of projects and tasks including:
- Assists the Public Information Officer with managing the public and community affairs program in the Office of Emergency Management.
- Develops news releases, social media messaging, graphics and website products for the OEM.
- Assists in real-world events managing emergency public information and public/media inquiries.
- Maintains day-to-day community outreach programs, including distribution of disaster preparedness materials and scheduling and conducting disaster preparedness presentations.
- Attends events and presents disaster preparedness material to the general public.
- Generates reports and data for departmental and City executives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Assists the PIO in creating and fostering relationships with Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (VOADs) and community organizations representing various groups within the community.
- Provides technical and writing assistance to City staff in the use of media-related content-management systems.
- Assists the PIO in developing and maintaining emergency public information plans and procedures
- Must be enrolled full-time in an accredited bachelor or master degree program in the areas of public administration, government, communications, broadcasting, or other closely related field.
- Must receive credit from sponsoring institution for participation.
- Experience developing products for the media, copy writing, graphic design and/or web design.
- Working knowledge of HTML5 and CSS.
- Fluency in a language other than English (preferred: Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese)
- Completion of basic ICS course (100, 200, 700, 800)
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Michael Walter, Michael.Walter@houstontx.gov.