Big Brothers Big Sisters Lone Star Internship
6437 High Star
To provide children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported 1-to-1 relationships that change their lives for the better, forever.
Mentor 2.0 VISTA
$320-410 biweekly wage. A $1,100 Education Stipend or a $200 Cash Stipend.
Description of Internship
This position requires a mature individual who:
- Has some knowledge of the non-profit sector.
- Possesses effective communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Is dependable, self-motivating, uses time effectively, has high energy and enthusiasm, and is a creative thinker in handling new tasks.
- Is able to work with limited supervision, and virtually with other team members.
- Can operate a computer, copier and phone system.
- Assist in the screening of volunteers, including reviews of application and background checking;
- Conducting and evaluation of surveys with students and volunteers;
- Assist in the preparation of materials, information, and presentations for use at high schools in the Houston market as the program expands;
- Provide support and coordinate recruitment campaigns for volunteers for the program for the Houston area;
- Support and/or coordinate group events for students and volunteers at partner schools, and
- Provide support towards the overall success of the program.
Supervision will be both informal and formal including:
- Weekly meetings with mentor2.0 Coordinator.
- Exit interview with mentor2.0 Coordinator upon completion of VISTA assignment.
- Resources available to the intern will be:
- Information on/invitations to professional trainings offered by the agency (VISTAs may attend free of charge or at same rate as staff).
- Information regarding activities and programs through the agency newsletter.
- Specialized on-the-job training by mentro2.0 Coordinator and Program Staff Development Specialist.