Graduate Hooding Ceremony
University of Houston-Downtown Graduate Hooding Ceremony will take place in person on Thursday, December 14, 2023 at 6:30pm in the Wellness and Success Center. This is an opportunity for all graduating Master’s degree earners to be formally “hooded” by their program faculty with the graduate regalia before commencement on Saturday, December 16. This ceremony DOES NOT REPLACE commencement, but is rather a complementary event that offers a more intimate celebration for Master’s degree earners.
University of Houston-Downtown Graduate Hooding Ceremony
Date: Thursday, December 14, 2023
Time: 6:30pm – 8:00pm
Location: Wellness and Success Center – 1001 Naylor St
Graduates should arrive by: 5:30pm
December ceremony celebrates to those who have completed their application to graduate for August 2023 or December 2023.
You can also view the live ceremony online.
Parking will be available in the surface lot from Naylor Street.
RSVP by December 6, 2023 (you will be prompted to login using your UHD credentials).
|Master of Professional Accountancy (MPAC)||Drab|
|Master of Science, Artificial Intelligence (MSAI)||Science Gold|
|Master of Business Administration (MBA)||Drab|
|Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)||Light Blue|
|Master of Educational Leadership (MEDL)||Light Blue|
|Master of Science, Data Analytics (MSDA)||Science Gold|
|Master of Science, Criminal Justice (MSCJ)||Science Gold|
|Master of Arts, Non-Profit Management (MA)||Peacock Blue|
|Master of Arts, Rhetoric and Composition (MARC)||White|
|Master of Security Management (MSM)||Drab|
|Master of Arts, Strategic Communication (MASC)||Crimson|
|Master of Science, Technical Communication (MSTC)||White|
|Graduate Certificate||No Regalia Required|
Purchase your regalia from our official vendor, or in person at the UHD bookstore.
The color of the hood felt is determined by the discipline of study of your earned degree (e.g. business, data analytics, education, etc.). When you order your regalia, it is important to indicate your degree discipline in order to secure the correct color.
If you have questions or need further information about the Hooding Ceremony, please email Emily Leffler, Executive Director, Academic Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students please arrive by 5:30 to check in, begin robing, and line up.
We will not have secure storage areas for your belongings, so please only bring what you can wear under your robe (what fits in your pockets or in a small cross-body bag, for example).
Watch the live stream ceremony on December 14, 2023 below:
View the recording of the previous Hooding Ceremony held in Spring 2023 below:
What to expect at the UHD Graduate Hooding Ceremony
- Have your hood ready and unhook the clasp
- Bring your Marshal card, which you'll receive during check-in
- Line up behind your dean in order (check your marshal card for position number)
College-specific seating arrangement:
- College of Business: Rows 1-4
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Rows 5 and 6
- College of Public Service: Row 6
- College of Sciences and Technology: Rows 7 and 8
- Move down to fill in all seats and remain standing until after the National Anthem
- Follow the ushers to the stage when your college is called
- Hood draped over left arm with point in front, Marshal card in right hand
- Hand your marshal card to the Dean at the podium and walk across the stage to the hooding position
- When your name is announced walk across the stage to the hooding position
- Then hand your hood to the faculty member by the point and after being hooded, shake hands or hug faculty
- Continue across the stage to shake hands, hug or fist bump with the Provost and smile for a photo
- Proceed down the ramp and back to your seat at the direction of the ushers, then you may be seated
- Photos will be taken on stage of each graduate, and you'll receive an email from "Flash Photography" to order photos after the ceremony
- Follow the platform party and faculty in two lines beginning with row 1 during the recessional
- Attend the reception in the East Gym after the ceremony
- Silence cell phones during the event