Welcome to the University of Houston-Downtown. UHD Veterans Services assists veterans, reservists, guardsmen, and dependents of disabled or deceased veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces.
Over 500 veterans are currently pursuing a degree at UHD. Veterans Services ensures that proper paperwork is completed, certified, and filed with the Department of Veterans Affairs so that payment of education benefits can begin. Veterans Services does not, however, determine eligibility for benefits.
Before receiving approval of your benefits please click the Getting Started link to ensure your certification is done in a timely manner.
VA EDUCATIONAL FUNDING CERTIFICATION PROCEDURE
- Student must first be admitted to UHD
- For new student-veterans, complete the GI Bill application online via the VA’s Application for Benefits (VONAPP) Online for the appropriate benefit.
- If the student is a dependent, then the veteran must first transfer the benefit to their dependent.
- Develop a degree plan with an academic advisor (first or second-year students) or in the College that services your major (students with completed core curriculum).
- Register for classes – (student must be registered before we can certify enrollment)
- Complete the Request for Enrollment Certification Online and submit/upload Certificate of Eligibility mailed from the VA.
- Copy of Joint Service Transcript, Copy of transcripts from all other colleges or universities attended that you used GI Bill benefits as payment.
* To prevent disruption in enrollment pending Post 9/11 GI Bill tuition payment, veterans may enter into an Emergency Deferment Plan (90 days).
* Submit the requested documents to the Veteran Services Office via document upload in the on veteran services page in the request VA Certification Tab
* The Request for VA Certification will be processed within 5-7 business days after:
- All required documentation has been received.
- The student has registered for all of their courses for the semester in question.
- VA Chapter Benefit payments for tuition and fees will apply to the student’s billing account after bills have been generated by Student Accounting Services for the semester in question.
- Complete the Request for Enrollment Certification Online and Academic Advisor Verification forms each semester to recertify.
- Submit your paperwork online via upload for the semester in which you need to be certified appears on your UHD account.
- The certifying officials cannot process your claim before then.
- Finalize your class schedule before submitting forms. Adjustments after submission delay disbursement of tuition, fees, and BAH.
- Veterans transfer to UHD from universities and community colleges across the U.S. UHD has a Transfer Advising Program with transfer advisors ready to assist you.
- Join the student organization, Student Veterans of American (SVA), and become part of a community of “vets helping vets.”