The University of Houston-Downtown is seeks a visionary leader with a proven commitment to academic excellence and shared governance to serve as its next Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost. The Provost serves as the Chief Academic Officer of the University and works collaboratively with the President, Vice Presidents and Deans to further the academic mission of the institution. The Provost will continue to build UHD as an engaged public, urban university committed to student access and success.
The Senior Vice President and Provost reports to the President and will serve on the President’s Cabinet with responsibility for the Division of Academic Affairs. Student Affairs currently reports to the Provost, but steps are being taken to reorganize and relieve the Provost of this responsibility, so they can focus totally on Academic Affairs.
Serving as the institution’s Chief Academic Officer, the Provost will play a central role in enhancing academic excellence and aligning priorities with the University’s strategic plan. The Provost serves as a member of the senior leadership team. S/he will work closely with the President, other executive officers, and faculty in formulating the University’s academic goals and policies. As Chief Academic Officer, the Provost is responsible for the articulation of the University’s vision of academic distinction; the development and administration of academic programs; policies relating to instruction, curriculum, and distance learning; faculty and academic staff appointments and performance assessments; and scholarship and community service initiatives among faculty. Other major responsibilities include:
- Advancing the vision, mission, and core values of the university, including being an enthusiastic spokesperson for UHD with internal and external constituencies.
- Working with the President in friend and fund raising, community relations, industry relations, etc.
- Supporting research, scholarly and creative activities of faculty and students.
- Promoting academic excellence in degree programs and in teaching, research, and service of faculty.
- Promoting inclusion and transparency, which should involve the campus community as partners in decision-making processes as they help to set and meet the highest standards.
- Fostering student success and engagement by creating an environment that cultivates student success, holistic development, and involvement.
- Strategic planning, administration, and student engagement.
- Growing and developing a vibrant and diverse faculty, administration, and staff.
- Nurturing relationships and entrepreneurship, including developing partnerships, and fostering positive relations with foundations, granting agencies, University alumni, and legislative representatives at local, state, national, and/or international levels.
- Leading and fortifying an environment of diversity, equity, and inclusion at all levels of the organization.
- Administering the tenure and promotion processes.
- Coordinating and leading student success initiatives and accreditation-based assessments, designed to improve student retention and graduation rates.
- Fostering the organized and strategic development of "High-Impact Practices” across the curriculum and campus to stimulate engaged learning and support student success.
- Supporting online education opportunities.
- Expanding distance education opportunities.
The Search Committee invites letters of interest and nominations to be submitted directly to the search firm, Anthem Executive. Correspondence should include a curriculum vitae and a letter of interest describing relevant experience and interest in the position, and should be submitted to Scott Watson, Michael Ballew, or Mike “JR” Wheless at
UHD is committed to providing equal access and opportunity to employees, applicants for employment, and service providers without regard to age, disability, gender, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation or status as a Vietnam War Era Veteran.