Dr. Yuan Yuan Kang
Dr. Yuan Yuan KangAssociate ProfessorNatural Sciences
Dr. Kang's area of expertise is the genetics behind brain function. She is easily qualified to teach General Biology and General Genetics. Her postdoctoral work at Baylor College of Medicine gives her expertise to teach Human Genetics. She has worked on the genes behind particular neural patterns in Drosophila as a study organism to better understand the genetics of human brain structure and function. Dr. Kang also has a decade of teaching experience and publications in behavior and genetics of neural development.
Ph.D. in Biolog, University of Houston
- BIOL 1101: General Biology Lab I
- BIOL 1301: General Biology I
- BIOL 3103: General Genetics Lab
- BIOL 3107: Introduction to Neuroscience Laboratory
- BIOL 3300: Undergraduate Research
- BIOL 3303: General Genetics
- BIOL 3307: Introduction to Neuroscience
- BIOL 4303: Human Genetics
- 2022-present Associate Professor of Biology, UHD
- 2016-2022 Assistant Professor of Biology, UHD
- 2011-2016 Lecturer of Biology, UHD
Soibam, B.; Mann, M.; Liu, L.; Tran, J.; Lobaina, M.; Kang, Y.Y.; Gunaratne, G.H.; Pletcher, S.; Roman, G. (2012) Open-field arena boundary is a primary object of exploration for Drosophila. Brain Behav. Vol. 2. 97-108.
Goossens, T.; Kang, Y.Y.; Wuytens, G.; Zimmermann, P.; Callaerts-Végh, Z.; Pollarolo, G.; Islam, R.; Hortsch, M.; Callaerts, P. (2011) The Drosophila L1CAM homolog Neuroglian signals through distinct pathways to control different aspects of mushroom body axon development. Development. Vol 138. 1595-605.
- Kang YY, Wachi Y, Engdorf E, Fumagalli E, Wang Y, Myers J, Massey S, Greiss A, Xu S, Roman G. Normal Ethanol Sensitivity and Rapid Tolerance Require the G Protein Receptor Kinase 2 in Ellipsoid Body Neurons in Drosophila. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2020 Aug;44(8):1686-1699. doi: 10.1111/acer.14396. Epub 2020 Jul 9. PMID: 32573992; PMCID: PMC748511