Song GeAssistant Professor - Assistant Director of Bachelor Science in NursingNatural Sciences
Song Ge is a Registered Nurse, a Community Health Worker, and a Community Health Worker-Instructor in Texas, US. She received a Bachelor of Science in Nursing with honors from Emory University in 2013 and a Ph.D. in Nursing from Johns Hopkins University in 2018. Song Ge was a visiting faculty at Towson University Department of Nursing in 2016. Since Fall 2018, she has served as Assistant Professor and Assistant Director of the Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program at UHD. Song Ge was inducted into Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing-Beta Beta Chapter (Houston) in 2021. Song Ge enjoys doing research and community projects involving students and has published 40+ peer-reviewed publications. Song Ge is an invited editorial board member and reviewer of several peer-reviewed journals. She received the Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activity Award from UHD in 2023 and the Excellent Reviewer Award from the International Journal of Nursing Sciences in 2018.
- B.S., Emory University 2013
- Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University 2018
- NURS 4330 Basic Concept in Nursing Research
- NURS 4320 Community Care
- NURS 4210 Information Management and Health Informatics
1. Luo, X., Liu, T., Yuan, X., Ge, S., Yang, J., Li, C., & Sun, W. (2015). Factors influencing self-management in Chinese adults with type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 12(9), 11304-11327.
2. Ge, S., Xi, X., & Guo, G. F. (2015). A systematic review of the impact of master's-educated nurses on inpatient care. International Journal of Nursing Sciences, 2(4), 414-421.
*3. Chen, C., Ge, S., Li, S., Wu, L., Liu, T., & Li, C. (2017). The effects of dietary calcium supplements alone or with vitamin D on cholesterol metabolism: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 32(5), 496-506, doi:10.1097/JCN.0000000000000379.
4. Ge, S., Sanchez, M., Nolan, M., Liu, T., & Savage, C. L. (2018). Is alcohol use associated with increased risk of developing adverse health outcomes among adults living with human immunodeficiency virus: A systematic review. Journal of Addictions Nursing, 29(2), 96-118.
*5. Ge, S., Wei, Z., Liu, T., Wang, J., Li, H., Feng, J., & Li, C. (2018). Alcohol use and cognitive functioning among middle-aged and older adults in China: Findings of the China health and retirement longitudinal study baseline survey. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research. doi:10.1111/acer.13861.
6. Han, H. R., Hong, H., Starbird, L. E., Ge, S., Ford, A. D., Renda, S., ... & Stewart, J. (2018). eHealth literacy in people living with HIV: A systematic review. JMIR Public Health and Surveillance, 4(3), e64.
7. Li, H., Ge, S., Greene, B., & Dunbar-Jacob, J. (2019). Depression in the context of chronic diseases in the United States and China. International Journal of Nursing Sciences, 6(1), 117-122.
*8. Liu, T., Wu, D., Wang, J., Li, C., Yang, R., Ge, S., ... & Wang, Y. (2018). Testing the information-motivation-behavioral skills model of diabetes self-management among Chinese adults with type 2 diabetes: a protocol of a 3-month follow-up study. BMJ Open, 8(10), e020894.
*9. He, P., Hu, Y., Li, C., Wu, D., Ge, S., & Liu, T. (2019). Predictors of depressive symptoms among mid-aged and older men with diabetes in China. Research and Theory for Nursing Practice, 33(1), 6-22.
*10. Ge, S., McCaul, M. E., Nolan, M. T., Wei, Z., Liu, T., & Chander, G. (2019). The relationship between alcohol use and anxiety and retrospective attendance of primary care visits among women with human immunodeficiency virus. AIDS care, 31(11), 1362-1368.
11. Liu, T., Lee, J. E., Wang, J., Ge, S., & Li, C. (2020). Cognitive dysfunction in persons with type 2 diabetes mellitus: A concept analysis. Clinical Nursing Research, 29(5), 339-351.
*12. Wu, M., Zan, T., Zhao, Q., Ge, S., Li, K., & Li, J. (2020). Symptom clusters and health-related quality of life in Chinese patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 42(6), 437-445.
*13. Tang, X., Chen, X., Wu, B., Ma, C., Ge, S., Sun, H., & Zhou, L. (2020). Where Are We and What Shall We Do Next? A Qualitative Study of the Quality of Home Care in Shanghai, China. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 1043659620911965.
14. Liu, T., Li, H., Colton, J. P., Ge, S., & Li, C. (2020). The BDNF Val66Met polymorphism, regular exercise, and cognition: A systematic review. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 42(8), 660-673.
*15. Ge, S., Tang, X., Wei, Z., Dune, L., Liu, T., Li, J., & Li, C. (2020). Smoking and Cognitive Function Among Middle-Aged Adults in China: Findings from the China Health and Retirement Longitudinal Study Baseline Survey. Journal of Addictions Nursing, 31(3), E5-E12.
*16. Tang, X., Ge, S., Ma, C., Chen, X., Pei, Y., Zhou, L., & Wu, B. (2020). Evaluating the Quality of Home Care in China Using the Home Care Quality Assessment Tool. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 1043659620953191.
*17. Wang, J., Monroe, T. B., Simning, A., Conwell, Y., Caprio, T. V., Cai, X., Ge, S., ... & Li, Y. (2021). Pain Management in Home Health Care: Relationship with dementia and facility admissions. Pain Management Nursing, 22(1), 36-43.
*18. Feng, J., Wang, J., Jose, M., Seo, Y., Feng, L., & Ge, S. (2021). Association between Caffeine Intake and All-Cause and Cause-Specific Mortality: An Analysis of the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 1999–2014 Database. Nursing Reports, 11(4), 901-912.
*19. Ma, H, Ma, Y, Ge, S, Wang, S, Zhao,Y.,& Christensen, M. (2022) Intrapersonal and interpersonal level factors influencing self-care practices among Hong Kong individuals with COVID-19—A qualitative study. Frontiers in Public Health.10:964944.
*20. Li, Y., Huang, Q., Ge, S., Wu, B., & Tang, X. (2022). Investigating oral health-related quality of life in patients with ischaemic stroke in China. Gerodontology, 10.1111/ger.12660. https://doi.org/10.1111/ger.12660
*21. Yang, Q., Wang, Y., Yang, M., Ge, S., Cheng, S., Wang, C., Zhang, W., Tian, C., & Mao, J. (2022). Apathy co-occurs with subjective cognitive decline among community-dwelling older adults. Geriatric Nursing, 48, 173-178. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gerinurse.2022.09.018
22. Ge, S., Song, Y., Hu, J., Tang, X., Li, J., & Dune, L. (2022). The development and impact of adopting electronic health records in the United States: A brief overview and implications for nursing education. Health Care Science. https://doi.org/10.1002/hcs2.21
*23. Tang, X., Sun, H., Ge, S., Han, S., Li, Y., & Wu, B. (2022). Experiences and needs of older adults at different stages of cerebral infarction based on trajectory theory—A qualitative study. Nursing Open, 00, 1– 10. https://doi.org/10.1002/nop2.1398
*24. Xiang, D., Ge, S., Zhang, Z., Twumwaah Budu, J., & Mei, Y. (2022). Relationship among clinical practice environment, creative self-efficacy, achievement motivation, and innovative behavior in nursing students: A cross-sectional study. Nurse Education Today, 120, 105656. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2022.105656
*25. Fu, Z., Qi, G., Qu, Z., Lin, X., Xu, L., Shen, B., ... & Ge, S. (2022). Higher blood cotinine level is associated with worse cognitive functioning in non-smoking older adults. Frontiers in Neuroscience, 16.
*26. Ge, S., Tian C, Wu L, Liu M.,& Lu H. (2022). Prescribed opioid use is associated with increased all-purpose emergency department visits and hospitalizations in community-dwelling older adults in the United States. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 13:1092199. doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2022.1092199
*27. Fu Z, Zhou T, Dong F, Li M, Lin X, Ma W, Song Y, & Ge, S. (2022). Secondhand smoke is positively associated with pre-frailty and frailty in non-smoking older adults. Frontiers in Psychiatry,13:1095254. doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2022.1095254
*28. Huang, Q., Li, Y., Wu, X., Ge, S., Qu, Z., Wang, A., & Tang, X. (2022). The willingness and influencing factors to choose smart senior care among old adults in China. BMC Geriatrics, 22(1), 1-12.
*29. Zhou, T., Qu, Z., Ge, S., Wu, X., Zhang, X., Wang, A., & Tang, X. (2023). Frailty knowledge level and its influencing factors among older adults in China. Geriatric Nursing, 50, 247-254.
*30. Li, C., Ge, S., Yin Y., Tian, C., Mei, Y., & Han, P. (2023). Frailty is associated with worse cognitive functioning in older adults. Frontiers in Psychiatry. 14:1108902. doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2023.1108902
*31. Ge, S., Yang, C., Qu, Z., Lin, X., Liu, M., & Wang, Y. (2023). Association between seropositivity for toxocariasis and cognitive functioning in older adults: an analysis of cross-sectional data from the US National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), 2011–2014. BMJ Open, 13(3), e068974. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2022-068974
*32. Liu, K., Peng, W., Ge, S., Li, C., Zheng, Y., Huang, X., & Liu, M. Longitudinal Associations of Concurrent Falls and Fear of Falling with Functional Limitations Differ by Living Alone or Not. Frontiers in Public Health, 11, 836.
33. Xiang, D., Zhang, Z. X., Ge, S., Wang, W., Lin, B. L., Chen, S. Y., ... & Mei, Y. X. (2023). Physio-psycho-social interaction mechanism in dyadic health of young and middle-aged stroke survivors and their spousal caregivers: a longitudinal observational study protocol. BMJ open, 13(4), e065767.
*34. Ye, L., Tang, X., Zhang, H., Ge, S., Yin, L., Zhou, Y., & Chang, J. Prevalence and risk factors of pre‐frailty and frailty in maintenance haemodialysis patients in China: A cross‐sectional Study. Journal of Advanced Nursing.
*35. Ge, S., Ma, W., Qu, Z., Zhu, X., Chen, Z., Lin, X., & Fu, Z. (2023). Urinary tobacco-specific nitrosamine 4-(methylnitrosamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanol (NNAL) and cognitive functioning in older adults: The National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2013-2014. Tobacco Induced Diseases, 21, 68. https://doi.org/10.18332/tid/162368
*36. Lin, X., Zhao, J., Ge, S., Lu, H., Xiong, Q., Guo, X., Li, L., He, S., Wang, J., Peng, F., Fan, Y., Zuo, X., Tian, C., & Ying, C. (2023). Dietary Polyphenol Intake and Risk of Hypertension: An 18-y Nationwide Cohort Study in China. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, S0002-9165(23)48894-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajcnut.2023.05.001
37. Wang, S., Wang, M., Leung, I. S. H., Ge, S., Xu, X., Chen, S., & Yin, Y. (2023). The association of cognitive frailty and the risk of falls among older adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis. International journal of nursing practice, 29(4), e13181. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijn.13181
38. Chen, H., Wang, Y., Zhang, M., Wang, N., Ge, S., & Liu, Y. (2023). Effectiveness of Tai Chi on cognitive function among older adults with mild cognitive impairment: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Aging & mental health, 1–9. https://doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2023.2253183
*39. Liu, Z., Zhang, Z., Wang, J., Ge, S., Zhang, W., Xiang, D., ... & Mei, Y. (2022). Depressive Symptoms in Young and Middle-Aged Stroke Patients: A Latent Transition Analysis. Nursing Research, 10-1097.
Song Ge received Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activity Award from UHD in 2023 and the Excellent Reviewer Award from the International Journal of Nursing Sciences in 2018.