Dr. Paul Fulbright
Dr. Paul FulbrightAssistant Professor of Business LawGeneral Business, Marketing, and Supply Chain Management
BiographyDiscipline: Business Law, Intellectual Property Law
Paul Fulbright holds degrees in law, business administration, telecommunications, and engineering, and he has twenty-five years of full-time experience as an attorney specializing in intellectual property matters prior to entering academia. Although most of his work experience has been at our nation's largest law firms, he has also served as a senior internal legal advisor to multiple Fortune 100 corporations in the telecommunications sector. He has also run his own firm. His experience has spanned all aspects of the development, acquisition, licensing, and litigation of intellectual property rights. His research interests include the study of the legal component of business strategy, as well as the effective regulation of business for the benefit of society.
- Post-Doctoral Master of Laws (LL.M.), Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law (2016)
- Doctor of Jurisprudence (J.D.), University of Houston Law Center (1992)
- Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.), Baylor University (1986)
- Master of Science in Telecommunications (M.S.T.), Southern Methodist University (2009)
- Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering (B.S.Ch.E.), Texas A&M University (1984)
- Business Ethics
- Legal Environment of Business
- Legal Environment of Management
- Legal Aspects of Supply Chain Management
- Supply Chain Contracts, Law, & Ethics
- Commercial Law
- Innovation, Entrepreneurship, and the Law
Business and Professional Experience:
- Professional clients have spanned the gamut from the largest of established corporate and governmental entities to the smallest of entrepreneurial startups.
- Served as the head of intellectual property strategy development for the enterprise segment of a Fortune 100 corporation (said segment accounting for approximately two-thirds of total corporate revenues).
- Provided legal advice to numerous clients regarding all aspects of the acquisition, licensing, and litigation of patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, technology, and related rights, in both the U.S. and abroad. Developed new portfolio management techniques to facilitate the management of large, global intellectual property portfolios.
- Provided legal advice regarding all aspects of non-competition / non-solicitation covenants, employment / independent contractor disputes, and inventorship / ownership issues.
- Created new royalty / profit-sharing models to be used in large joint development / strategic partnership agreements.
- Performed strategic patent landscape analyses in support of M&A (merger & acquisition) target identification.
Organizations / Community Experience:
- Licensed, State Bar of Texas
- Registered, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Board Member, Intellectual Property Law Section, State Bar of Texas (prior term)
- Volunteer Attorney, Texas Accountants and Lawyers for the Arts
Dr. Fulbright's research interests include intellectual property law (patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret, technology, & licensing law); competition law (antitrust); privacy / security law; compliance; commercial law and transactions; entrepreneurship; business law; negotiation; ethics; and related matters. He also has a particular interest in the use of quantitative techniques in business negotiation and decision-making.