Dr. Maria Gabriela Bowden
Dr. Maria Gabriela BowdenAssociate Professor, Biology Program Coordinator, JAMP Faculty Director, Health Professions Advisory Committee (HPAC)Natural Sciences
Since joining UH-D in the Fall of 2011, Dr. Bowden has taught a variety of Microbiology courses, from the Freshman to the Senior level. All of these courses promote student engagement and active-learning using team-work exercises, student participation in class and reports based on Microbiology-related events covered in the news.
Dr. Bowden has developed a strong research program, involving many students in research projects measuring the human response to bacterial pathogens, or the study of spore-forming soil microorganisms.
Ph.D. in Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences-Houston.
- MBIO 1305: Pre-Nursing Microbiology
- MBIO 3300: Undergraduate Research
- MBIO 4140: Medical Microbiology Lab
- MBIO 4210: Microbiology Seminar
- MBIO 4340: Medical Microbiology
- MBIO 4390: Microbial Genetics
- UHD 1303: Freshman Seminar-Science
- 2011-present Assistant Professor of Microbiology, UHD
- 2004-2011 Taught courses at the Texas A&M Health Sciences Center including Special Topics in Biomedical Research, Seminar in Pathogenesis and Host Defense, Microbial Mechanism of Immune Evasion
- 2004-2007 Research Assistant Professor, Center for Extracellular Matrix Biology, Texas A&M Health Science Center, Institute of Biosciences and Technology
- 2007-2010 Assistant Professor, Center for Infectious and Inflammatory Diseases, Texas A&M Health Science Center, Institute of Biosciences and Technology
- 2008-current Assistant Professor (Adjunct), Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, University of Texas Health Science Center, Medical School
- 2010-2010 Assistant Professor (Joint), Department of Microbial and Molecular Pathogenesis, Texas A&M Health Science Center, College of Medicine