Dr. Mahmud Hasan
Dr. Mahmud HasanAssistant Professor & Program Coordinator of Safety ManagementComputer Science and Engineering Technology
Dr. Mahmud Hasan has strong teaching, research, industry, and service (department, college, university, and community level) experience in innovative HSE (Health, Safety, and Environment) environments. Before joining to UHD, Dr. Hasan worked in McDermott International, Inc., Genesis Oil and Gas (Technip USA Inc.), Akij Cement Company, and Shahjibazar Gas Turbine Power Plant. A licensed Certified Safety Professional (CSP) and Professional Engineer (PE) from two states (Texas and Louisiana). Evidence of scholarship as demonstrated by national and/or international publications, and experience with ABET and SACS assessment.
LSU (Louisiana State University), Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Engineering Science (Mechanical Engineering), 2010
VT (Virginia Tech), Blacksburg, Virginia, Master of Engineering (M.Eng.) in Mechanical Engineering, 2007
LSU (Louisiana State University), Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Master of Science (M.S.) in Mechanical Engineering, 2005
BUET (Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology), Dhaka, Bangladesh, Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Mechanical Engineering, 2001
- Industrial Loss Prevention (ENGR-4350)
- Systems Safety Management (ENGR-4330)
- Radiation Safety (ENGR-3375)
- Emergency Management & Planning (ENGR-3352)
- Accident Investigation and Root Cause Analysis (ENGR-3351)
- Offshore Fire & Safety Inspection (ENGR-3346)
- Process Modeling and Simulation (ENGR-3410)
- Fire Protection for Power Plants (ENGR-3365)
- Applied Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer (ENGR-3307)
- Engineering Economics (ENGR-3302)
- Modern Methods of Engineering Analysis (ENGR-2411)
- Freshman Seminar (UHD-1303)
- Directed Study in Engineering Technology (ET-3399)
Assistant Professor and Safety Management (SM) Program Coordinator,
Computer Science and Engineering Technology (CSET),
University of Houston-Downtown (UHD),
Fall 2020- Present @ Houston, TX;
Computer Science and Engineering Technology (CSET),
University of Houston-Downtown (UHD),
Fall 2018- Summer 2020
Senior Subsea Engineer,
McDermott International, Inc.
November 2015 - April 2016 @ Houston, TX
Genesis Oil and Gas (Technip USA Inc.)
October 2011 - August 2015 @ Houston, TX
Post-Doctoral Research Associate,
University of Pittsburgh (Funded by Westinghouse Electric Company)
January 2010-January 2011 @ Pittsburgh, PA
Shahjibazar Gas Turbine Power Plant<
May 2000-June 2000 @ Sylhet, BD
My research interests are in the general safety areas specifically safety in alternating energy sources: fuel cell, wind turbine, nuclear reactor cooling, and subsea engineering. To address these areas my research encompasses the application of safety theories with the knowledge of heat transfer, fluid dynamics, Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), and Finite Element Analysis (FEA).
- AI (Artificial Intelligence) Assisted Planning within Emergency Management Operations, Adams, J., Hasan, M., Thorp, J., Journal of Emergency Management, Vol.20, No.1, 2022
- Classical Soil Gardens versus Outdoor Hydroponic Gardens Utilizing Energy and Water Capture Technologies to Combat Climate Change, Adams, J., Tzouanas, V., Morano, L., Hasan, M., Journal of Emergency Management, Vol.19, No.5, 2021
- Applications of Ultrasonic Testing (UT) for Irregularities Detection in Human Body and Materials: A Literature Review, Hasan, M., International Journal of Occupational Hygiene, Vol.13, No.1, 2021
- Safety Based Cross-Sectional Study of Infrastructure and Associated Problems among Undeveloped Neighborhoods, Young, T., Hasan, M., Sanchez, J., Nnmdi, P., International Journal of Occupational Hygiene, Vol.13, No.1, 2021
- Applications of ADR (Accident Data Recorder) in Worksites, Thorp, J., Hasan, M., International Journal of Occupational Hygiene, Vol.12, No.4, 2020
- Investigative Root Cause Analysis for Land Free Urban Microgrid Farm for Food, Water, and Energy, Adams, J., Hasan, M., International Journal of Occupational Hygiene, Vol.12, No.4, 2020,
- Analysis of Fracture in High-Temperature Vacuum Tube Furnace, Hasan, A.B.M., Guo, S.M., and Wahab, M A, Journal of Failure Analysis and Prevention, Vol.9, No.3, pp. 262-269, 2009,
- Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell High Carbon Monoxide Tolerance Operation using Pulsed Heating and Pressure Swing, Guo,S.M, Hasan, A.B.M., ASME Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technology, Vol.6, No.1, pp. 011022-1-6, 2009,
- Effects of Heat Affected Zones Temperature on the General Performance of High TemperaTemperature Vacuum Tube Furnace, Hasan, A.B.M., Wahab, M. A, and Guo, S.M., Structural Durability & Health Monitoring (SDHM), Vol.4, No.4, pp. 231-239, 2008,
- Taper and Angle of Attack Performance Comparison for Untwisted Blade Wind Turbine, Hasan, A.B.M., Huque, Ziaul, Harby, Donald, and Kommalapati, Raghava, ICME2011, 9th International Conference on Mechanical Engineering, December 18-20, 2011, BUET, Dhaka, Bangladesh, ICME11-FL-014.
- Surrogate Models for Stall Regulated Wind Turbines for Improved Performance Predictions, Harby, Donald, ofuafor, Isaac, Huque, Ziaul, Hasan, A.B.M., and Kommalapati, Raghava, ICME2011, 9th International Conference on Mechanical Engineering, December 18-20, 2011, BUET, Dhaka, Bangladesh, ICME 11-RE-07.
- Metal Surface Cleaning Using Electro-Plasma Process, David, R, Nettles, O, Liu, R, Hasan,A.B.M., Guo,S.M., and Wahab, M. A., Symposium of Fracture Mechanics of Welded Structures and Surface Coatings and Surface Cleaning Mechanics, First American Academy of Mechanics Conference, June 17-20, 2008, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
Journal Papers Submitted:
- Using Neurotechnology in the Industrial Hygiene and Safety Management for Creating a Safer Work Environment, Adams, J., Hasan, M., Thorp, J.,
- Emergency Management during Icing Effects on Offshore Platforms, Lopez, D. S., Hasan, M.,
Safety Meeting Attended:
- Environmental Regulations - Lean Principles in Environmental Management, UT Arlington Environmental Training Institute, TX, 2020.
- High-reliability, situational awareness, multi-dimensional hazard analysis, and emerging threats, organized by ASSP Gulf Coast Chapter, TX, 2020.
- Government & Public Sector Division Roundtable, organized by NSC (National Safety Council), TX, 2020.
- OSHA-ASSP Trench Safety Stand-Down, TX, 2020.
- Heat Stress, ASSP Energy Corridor, TX, 2020.
- Fit for Duty - A Systematic Approach, ASSP Energy Corridor, TX, 2020.
- UHD Student Research Conference, Houston, TX, 2020.
- Construction Safety Conference, Gulf Coast Safety Institute, La Marque, TX, 2019.
- Getting Safety Right' Conference, Gulf Coast Safety Institute, La Marque, TX, 2019.
- Wind Turbine Research Workshop in University of Massachusetts, Lowell, MA, 09/22/11-09/23/11.
- Engineering, Mathematics, and Physics Department, Texas A&M International University, Laredo, Texas, Feb 25, 2011 on the topic, "Applications of CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) in Energy"
- Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science Department, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Oct 26, 2010 on the topic, "Turbulence Modeling"
- Mechanical Engineering department, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 11th January, 2010, on the topic, "Experimental and Numerical Analysis of Fuel cells"
Official Reviewer of Journals:
- Process Safety and Environmental Protection
- Journal of Safety Science
- Journal of Safety Research
- Journal of Safety, Health, and Environmental Research
- Chemical Engineering Journal
- Nuclear Engineering and Design
- National Summer Transportation Institute (NSTI) grant, Duration: Summer 2022, Amount: $50000, PI: Prof. Mary Parker, Co-PIs: Dr. Mahmud Hasan, Dr. Weining Feng, Dr. Ting Zhang, and Dr. Jorge Tito-Izquierdo. Agency: TxDOT (Texas Department of Transportation),
- National Summer Transportation Institute (NSTI) grant, Duration: Summer 2021, Amount: $50000, PI: Prof. Mary Parker, Co-PIs: Dr. Mahmud Hasan, Dr. Weining Feng, Dr. Ting Zhang, and Dr. Jorge Tito-Izquierdo. Agency: TxDOT (Texas Department of Transportation),
- UHD CTLE 2022 Online Course Development Initiative (OCDI). Duration: 2022, Amount:$4000
- HHMI SynergIE Professorship Awards for Spring 2022, Obtained: January, 2022, PI: Dr. Mahmud Hasan, Amount: $3,200+$500/1yr
- 5th UHD Grant Academy for Spring 2022, Obtained: January, 2022, PI: Dr. Mahmud Hasan, Amount: 1 Course Release+$500/1semester
- HEAF (Higher Education Assistance Funds), 2022, Amount: $6353/1yr, Submitted to: CSET Department,
- HEAF (Higher Education Assistance Funds), 2021, Amount: $6500/1yr, Submitted to: CSET Department,
- Agency: Halliburton, Topic: Enhance Students' Learning through Fall Safety Training Based on Computer Simulation Technology, Obtained: November, 2021, Amount: $10000, PI: Dr. Mahmud Hasan.
- UHD CTLE 2021 Online Course Development Initiative (OCDI). Duration: 2021, Amount:$4000
- Introduction to systemic racism by Crossroads Against Racism (2021), Amount: $500, Submitted to: Dean, CST (College of Science and Technology), Funding decision: won
- UHD Startup Fund 2020, Source: CSET department and Provost office, Amount: $3500,
- Certificate of completion for the BBL training, UHD, 2020. Amount: $75
- Travel Allowances for attending Research Workshop in University of Massachusetts, Lowell, MA. Includes Registration fee, hotel and meals for the two nights of September 21 & 22, 2011, and airfare. Amount: $650
- Faculty Mentor to design and implement own vision for a Gator Experience with Mentors (GEM) for UHD FTICs (First Time in College Students). Amount: $1000/semester (Total: $4000)
- Near Northside (NNS) Project, Center for Community Engagement and Service Learn, Project No # 29, Develop and implement a neighborhood survey to identify and prioritize needed infrastructure improvements, including storm drainage systems. Amount: $1500
Honors & Awards:
- Research & Teaching Assistantship, LSU, Baton Rouge, 2004-2005, 2008-2009
- Research & Teaching Assistantship, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, 2006-2007
- Research Assistantship, BUET,2001-2002
- University Merit Scholarships in undergraduate level, BUET, Bangladesh, 1997, 1999-2001
- Technical Scholarship, Dhaka Board, Bangladesh, 1996-2001
- Student Section Supervisor, American Society of Safety Professionals (ASSP), University of Houston-Downtown (UHD)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME);
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM);
- Worked as Judge for Science & Engineering Fair of Houston (SEFH), 2020 to present
- Conference Co-Chair, 4th Annual Graduate Student Conference, Mechanical Engineering Department, LSU, 9th April, 2005. Responsible for attracting new participants and arranging all logistical aspects of the most successful event to date.
Safety Related Certificates:
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) , Board of Certified Safety Professionals, 2020
- Introduction to Safety and Health Management, UT Arlington Division for Enterprise Development, Houston, TX, 2019.
- Focus 4 Safety in Construction, Gulf Coast Safety Institute, La Marque, TX, 2019.
- Heat-Illness Prevention Plan, UHCL, Houston, TX, 2019
- ANSI Z490-Acceptance Criteria for Practices in Safety, Health & Environmental (SHE) Training, Gulf Coast Safety Institute, La Marque, TX, 2019
- Heat-Illness Prevention Train-the-Trainer, UHCL, Houston, TX, 2019
- Fundamentals of Project Management, Houston, TX, 2013
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Board of Certified Safety Professionals, License no.: CSP-37752
- Associate Safety Professional (ASP), Board of Certified Safety Professionals, License no.: ASP-30783
- Professional Engineer (PE), State of Texas and Louisiana, License no.: PE-112915 and PE- 0039349