Dr. Donald Musselwhite
Dr. Donald MusselwhiteLecturerNatural Sciences
Mineralogy, Atmospheres of the Earth and Planets, Structural Geology, Solar System Astronomy, Physical Geology
- Lecturer - University of Houston-Downtown, Houston, TX; Jan 2007 to present.
- Research Scientist - Lunar and Planetary Institute, Houston, TX; Oct 2003 to Dec 2006.
- Adjunct Faculty - University of Houston - Clear Lake, Houston, TX; Au 2005 to Jul 2015
- Senior Research Associate - NASA/JSC, Houston,TX. Oct 2001 to Oct 2003.
- Research Associate - Lunar and Planetary Lab, Tucson, AZ; Feb 1999 to Oct 2001
- Research Associate - Mineralogish Institut, Göttingen, Germany; Apr 1995 to Jan 1999
- Research Assistant - Lunar and Planetary Lab,Tucson, AZ; Aug 1987 to Apr1995
- Geochemist - Global Geochemistry Corp., Canoga Park, CA; Oct 1985 to May 1987
- Adjunct Faculty - California State University Fullerton; Aug 1983 to May 1985
- Teacher - Hamilton High School, Palms, CA; Sep 1984 to Jan 1985
- Adjunct Faculty -Santa Monica College, CA;Sep 1985 to Aug 1986
- Adjunct Faculty Chapman College, Los Angeles, CA; Sep 1983 to Dec 1986
- Exploration Geologist/Consultant - Anaconda Minerals Co., Denver, CO May 1984
- Teaching Assistant - UCLA -- September 1979 to December 1982
- Laboratory Assistant - S Cal Coastal Water Proj. El Segundo, CA. Apr 1978 to Aug 1979
Research and Academic Interest
- Climate Change
- Air Pollution
- Planetary Science
- Experimental Geochemistry/Petrology
- Martian Meteorites
- Igneous Petrology
Balimuttajjo, M., D. Musselwhite et al. (2011) Gulf coast atmospheric ozone studies by MUCESS consortium Undergraduate students. GSA abstr. prog., 43, 577.
Hromis A., D. Musselwhite et al. (2010) Ozone studies in Upstate New York and along the Texas gulf coast.abstr#A41A Fall Meeting AGU
Filiberto, J., Musselwhite, D., et al., (2010) Experimental Petrology and Crystallization History of Olivine-Phyric Shergottite NWA 1068. Meteoritics and Planet. Sci. 45, 1258
Morris, P, Musselwhite, D. et al. (2009) Undergraduate Research at a Minority University: Studying the Atmospheric Conditions in Urban vs. Rural Areas. abstr#A21C-0166 Fall Meeting AGU..
Green-Garcia, A., Musselwhite, D. et al. (2009) Successes and Challenges of Joint Ozone Launches. Geol Soc. Am. Abstr. Prog., 41, No. 7, 615.
Musselwhite, D., et al. (2006) Experimental petrology of the basaltic Shergottite Yamato 980459:.Meteoritics and Planet. Sci. 41, 1271.
Treiman, A., D. Musselwhite, et al. (2006) Light lithophile elements in pyroxenes of Northwest Africa (NWA) 817 and other Martian meteorites: Implications for water in Martian magmas. Geochem. Cosmochem Acta, 70, 2919.
Domanik, K., D. Musselwhite, et al. (2004) Accessory silicate mineral assemblages in the Bilanga diogenite: a petrographic study Meteoritics and Planet. Sci. 39, 4, pp 567
Musselwhite, D. and T. Swindle (2001) Is release of martian atmosphere from polar clathrate the cause of the nakhlite Ar / Kr /Xe ratios? Icarus 154, 207
Musselwhite, D., et al. (2001) Liquid CO2 breakout and the formation of recent small gullies on Mars.Geophys. Res. Lett. 28, 1283
Musselwhite, D. and M. Drake (2000) Early outgassing of Mars: Implications from experimentally determined solubility of iodine in silicate magmas. Icarus 148, 160
Foley, S., D. Musselwhite, and S. van der Laan (1998) Melting processes in veined lithospheric mantle in cratonic and non-cratonic settings. In Proceedings 7th International Kimberlite Conference. 238
Musselwhite, D. and J. Lunine (1995) Alteration of volatile inventories by polar clathrate formation on Mars. J. Geophys. Res.100, E11, 23301
Drake, M, D. Musselwhite et al. (1994) Fractionated martian atmosphere in the nakhlites? Meteoritics 29, 854
Musselwhite, D. et al. (1991) Early outgassing of Mars: Inferences from the geochemistry of iodine and xenon. Nature 352, 697
Musselwhite, D., D. DePaolo and M. McCurry (1989) The evolution of a silicic magma system: Isotopic and chemical evidence from the Woods Mountains caldera complex, eastern California. Contrib. Mineral. Petrol. 101, 19