Dr. Angela M. Goins
Dr. Angela M. GoinsAssistant Professor of Social WorkSocial Work
Angela M. Goins, DSW, LMSW, is currently a Assistant Professor of Social Work in the Social Work Program under the College of Public Service at the University of Houston-Downtown. She has been a Licensed Master Social Worker since 1996. Ms. Goins past work experience includes over 19 years direct frontline experience as a supervisor and investigator under the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services with Adult Protective Services. She was a case manager with the Community Attendant Services (provider care) program under the Department of Aging and Disability Services for 2 ½ years. Ms. Goins currently works as a part-time medical social worker with Home Health Care Network. She is an active member of the Texas Elder Mistreatment and Abuse Institute (TEAM) and the Houston Financial Abuse Team (H-FAST) that meet monthly. Ms. Goins is a director with the Alumni Association Board with the Graduate College of Social Work at the University of Houston –Central Campus and she is on the Adult Protective Services Board, Houston District.
Gerontological studies, state government protective services with adults and individuals with disabilities, exploitation with elder adults, Elder Abuse, home health medical social work and case management
St. Catherine University-University of St. Thomas DSW 2018
(St. Paul, Minnesota)
University of Houston MSW (Gerontology) 1996
University of St. Thomas BA (Communication) 1991
Courses TaughtSOCW 1308 Freshman Seminar (Social Work and Criminal Justice)
SOCW 2361 Introduction to Social Work & Social Welfare
SOCW 2363 Introduction to Social Welfare Policy
SOCW 3313 Case Management
SOCW 3361 Human Behavior in the Social Environment I
SOCW 3331 Practice with Older Adults
SOCW 3332 Practice with Children and Adolescents
SOCW 4302 Issues in Field I
SOCW 4304 Issues in Field II
SOCW 4332 Crisis Intervention
SOCW 4401 Field Experience I
SOCW 4502 Field Experience II
PublicationsGoins, A. (2018) Geriatric social work education: An historical perspective on the social response to aging, The Journal of Aging and Social Change, 8:2, 39-52. doi: 10.18848/2576-5310/CGP/v08i02/39-52.
Dyer, C. B. & Goins, A. M., (2000) The role of the interdisciplinary geriatric assessment in addressing self-neglect of the elderly, GENERATIONS, 24:11, 23-27.
1. Smith, D. & Goins, A. (November 2018) Are Social Work Field Practicum Costs a Social and Economic Issue? Presentation to attendees at the 64th Annual Program Meeting of the Council of Social Work Education 2018 Conference in Orlando, Florida, November 8-11, 2018. (Refereed)
2. Goins, A. (July 2018) Service Learning with Older Adults with Dementia: A Mixed Methods Approach. Presentation to attendees at the Joint World Conference on Social Work, Education and Social Development on July 4-5, 2018 in Dublin, Ireland. (Refereed)
3. Goins, A. (April 2018) Student Group Research Project on Aging-One Approach to Implement High Impact Practices. Round Table Quick Talk with students, faculty and community partners of UHD at the High Impact Practices and Community Engagement Showcase, UHD, Houston, Texas. (Invited)
4. Goins, A. (November 2017) Geriatric Social Work Education: An Historical Perspective on the Social Response to Aging (Product # 3 of Dissertation), Paper proposal presentation to attendees of the International Aging and Society: Seventh Interdisciplinary Conference and the Aging and Society Research Network on the campus of the University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA. (Refereed)
5. Goins, A. (April 2017) Service Learning Experience for SOCW 3331 at Sheltering Arms Working with Older Adults with Dementia. Round Table Quick Talk with students, faculty and community partners of UHD at the High Impact Practices and Community Engagement Showcase, UHD, Houston, Texas. (Invited)
6. Goins, A. (June 2016) TMI: Maintaining Healthy Boundaries with your Clients Presentation to direct care staff at the Direct Care Conference – United Way, Houston, Texas. (Invited)
7. Wernet, S., Goins, A., Goltz, H., McCarty, D., Smith, D., (April 2015) Virtualizing the Educational Experience. TLC Conference, UHD, Houston, TX. (Invited)
8. Goins, A. M., Atkins, T, Pickins, S. & Reilley, B., (March 2011) Together We Can! -Overcoming Medical Challenges of Self -neglecting Elders. Presentation at the National Committee for the Prevention of Elder Abuse Conference at that United Way, Houston, Texas. (Invited)
9. Goins, A. M., Mitchell, R., Pickins, S., Twyman, C. & Parsons, L. (September 2010) Elder Abuse & Neglect: Local Perspective, a panel discussion presented at the 24th Annual Joseph C. , Sr. & Selenia E Valley Conference on Aging at the United Way, Houston, Texas. (Invited)
10. Goins, A. M., Booker, J & Reilley, B., (June, 2010) Elder Abuse-The Houston Response. Presentation at the Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) International Conference at the Downtown Holiday Inn-San Antonio, Texas. (Invited)
11. Goins, A. M. & Atkins, T., (May 2010) Elder Abuse-When to call Adult Protective Services. Presentation at the Annual APS Symposium at the United Way, Houston, Texas. (Invited)
1.Goins, A. (February 2019) "Techniques for Working with Difficult Clients: Focus on Exploitation Cases." Presentation to attendees of Houston Financial Abuse Team (H-FAST) Meeting, Houston, Texas.
2.Goins, A. (January 2019) "Techniques for Working with Difficult Clients." Presentation to attendees of the Elder Service Providers' Network (ESPN) at the United Way of Greater Houston, Houston, Texas.
3. Goins, A. (November 2018) "Restorative Justice: Bridging the Gap between Criminal Justice and Social Work" Panel presentation to UHD students, faculty and community at the Restorative Justice Conference at UHD to students in Robertson Auditorium, Houston, Texas.
4. Goins, A. (March 2018) "Geriatric Social Work Education: An Historical Perspective on the Social Response to Aging" Panel presentation to UHD students, faculty and community at the First Annual Scholarly and Creative Activities Showcase at UHD featuring faculty from the College of Public Service, Houston, Texas.
5. Goins, A. (October 2017) Service Learning Project with Older Adults with Dementia. Panel Presentation to UHD students, faculty and community at the 2nd Annual Symposium of University Supported Scholarship and Creativity at UHD featuring faculty from the College of Public Service, Houston, Texas.
6. Goins, A., (August 2017) Case Management: Tools for Success as a Case Manager. Presentation to Family Development Workers/case managers with the Head Start/Early Head Start program with Baker-Ripley, Stafford, Texas. (formerly known as Neighborhood Centers), Houston, Texas.
7. Goins, A., (November 2016) Navigating through the 4 D's: Depression, Dementia, Delirium and Drugs. Presentation to social workers and nurses from St. Luke's Hospital in the Medical Center via Webinar as a speaker with the Committee for Aging for Mental Health of America, Houston, Texas.
8. Goins, A., (September 2016) Hot Topics in Aging: "A Fresh Take on Caring for Older Adults" Panel Speaker with Panel Discussion –Aging Services in the Community through the Consortium on Aging with UTHealth/The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston at the UTHealth Cooley Life Center building, Houston, Texas.
9. Goins, A. & Fernandez, T., (June 2016) The 3 D's of Geriatrics: Depression, Dementia, Delirium and Levels of Care for Older Adults to community partners with Mental Health of America, Houston, Texas.
10. Goins, A., (March 2015) Hoarding with elderly patients. Presentation to social workers at St. Luke's Hospital in the Medical Center, Houston, Texas.
11. Goins, A., (December 2015) Elder Abuse Training Presentation to guardianship workers and staff with the Training Institute with Region 6 Harris County Protective Services for Children and Adults, Houston, Texas.
Professional Memberships/AffiliationsPhi Alpha Honor Society, member, effective 4/15-PRESENT
Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), member, effective 8/16-PRESENT
The Association of Baccalaureate Social Work Program Directors (BPD), member, effective 3/16-Present
International Federation of Social Workers, member, effective 3/18-PRESENT
2018Curricular Innovative Award (CIA), College of Public Service, University of Houston-Downtown
Scholarly Innovation Award (SIA), College of Public Service, University of Houston-Downtown
2018 UHD Outstanding Lecturer Award Finalist-April 2018
2017Scholarly Innovation Award (SIA), College of Public Service, University of Houston-Downtown
High Impact Grant ($1180), The Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence for Service Learning, University of Houston-Downtown
2017 UHD Outstanding Lecturer Award Finalist-April 2017
Sylvester Turner Grant, Center for Community Engagement and Service Learning, University of Houston-Downtown
Congratulatory Certificate from UHD Interim President, Michael A. Olivas for 2015-2016 for positive influence on student/students' academic career in exit UHD survey