Each semester, instructors are supplied with blank course shells for each of their courses.
Already developed courses may be copied into a blank course shell and modified to fit the new
For this documentation, the following two sample courses are used:
Find Your Course IDs and Course Names
Two different attributes of a course are the Course ID and Course Name. In the Course List area, the information listed
before the colon is the course ID, and the information listed after the colon is the course name.
Copy Previous Course Content into a Blank Shell
Note: Copying course content is initiated in the course that has the content - not the empty course. Start from the course you want to copy from, to avoid copying a blank course into the course that has your content.
1. First, open the course that has the content you wish to copy over (in this example,
manny_sandbox: Manny Bb2 Sandbox).
2. Next, find the Control Panel at bottom left, and click Packages and Utilities.
3. The Packages and Utilities options will expand. Select Course Copy.
4. You will be taken to a Copy Course page. In the first step, select Copy Course Materials into an existing Course (this may be the only option available to you). Click Browse button to select the Destination Course ID.
6. Blackboard will list all of the courses in which you are the instructor. You can use the search by: feature to find a specific course. Select the course you want to copy content into and click submit.
7. Next, place checkmarks beside the content that you wish to copy into the blank course.
- If you select the Content Areas checkbox, all content folders will be automatically
- You can also copy tests, journals, blogs and any other tools you utilized in the previous
- Tools like Announcements and Calendar may not need to be copied if the information
there only pertains to a previous semester.
- If the Discussion Board tool is brought over, all posts/replies by all users (including
students) copy over as well and will need to be deleted.
Shown below is an example of recommended settings when copying courses. These
settings may vary depending upon your course copy needs.
8. Under File Attachments select Copy Links and Copies of the Content (it should be the default option).
9. At the bottom of the page click Submit.
Blackboard Learn will send an email to your UHD address when the process is finished. It should
take approximately 15 minutes for all materials to be copied to the other course.
Once the copy is finished, you may see menu items in the new course that were not present in
the original course. During the copy procedure, Blackboard Learn does not overwrite the
existing content; rather the new content is added to the previously existing content. Menu items
that were already in the blank shell will remain. Any empty unneeded menu items can be
For additional support, visit http://uhd.edu/bbhelpform