Basic Position Information
Job Code: 4276
Title: User Support Specialist III
Department: User Support Services
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Technology Services
Job Sub-Family: User Support
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 14
Grade Min: $52,981
Grade Mid: $63,578
UHD Succession Plan: N/A
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The User Support Specialist III provides technology support on products ranging from applications to hardware to the campus community.
- Troubleshoots and evaluates technical problems
- Supports a variety of software and network applications
- Installs, maintains, and troubleshoots standard software applications and provides hardware support
- Evaluates, tests new software applications and hardware
- Documents training material and standard USS procedures
- Troubleshoots and resolves network identification password issues
- Trains and develops part-time technical support assistants
- Mentors junior staff in common software applications and hardware support
- Provides Support and Training to faculty, staff, and students
- Installs and troubleshoots client applications
- Provides basic support for faculty, staff, and students to the university's online course delivery tool, Blackboard
- Manages and serves as a project lead on technical projects, as assigned
- Creates tests, evaluates, and modifies computer images
- Maintains lab equipment with hardware and software updates
- Provides escalated support for complex problems
- Researches new and enhanced technologies
- Finalizes and approves desktop and laptop images
- Expected to carry and respond to cell phone and/or pager at all times
- Must be able to able to work a flexible schedule and respond to problems or provide service after hours including covering extended support hours
- during evening and weekend shifts
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Associate's degree in Information Technology or a related field
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position
- Good technical skills
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to create detailed tickets
- Ability to learn new software
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
- May be required to move items of up to 20lbs
- May be asked to respond to problems or provide service after hours
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge and skills with multiple hardware and software systems.
- Effectively applies expertise to identify and troubleshoot user issues.
- Competent to install and configure new systems.
- Willing to share expertise and provide technical support to others.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.