Basic Position Information
Job Code: 9065
Title: Security Officer
Department: Public Safety
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Police
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 09
Grade Min: $32,995
Grade Mid: $38,769
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Security Officer maintains the security of the university campus and property, patrolling all areas, and provides the first line of assistance to the police department.
- Promotes lawful behavior and protects the welfare of the students, faculty, and staff as a uniformed presence; performs foot and vehicle patrols, monitors behavior, secures buildings and property, investigates disturbances, maintains order, and enforces regulations.
- Observes and reports any criminal activity to the police department.
- Mans the check-in posts to ensure that only students, faculty, and staff members gain access.
- Escorts faculty to the carpark during night time operations as required.
- Follows all department policies for building access, room unlocks, and security.
- Communicates as necessary with dispatch and police during incidents on campus.
- Follows protocols to secure specific rooms or locations on campus.
- Assists students and visitors to the campus by providing directions and answering questions.
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of one (1) year of work experience
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license
- CPR and First Aid certification is required, upon one (1) year of employment
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the campus, its buildings, and the area(s) patrolled upon hired.
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to defuse situations when necessary
- Ability to represent the university professionally
- Ability to display compassion an understanding when necessary
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment (> 8 hours), a lobby customer service island or reception area (> 8 hours), technology server room (> 8 hours), a classroom, training room, auditorium, (> 8 hours), and outdoor areas (4 to 6 hours)
- Work involves significant outdoor work and requires standing and/or walking for long periods of time (more than 4 hours per day)
- Work involves considerable exposure to unpleasant elements, such as inclement weather, extreme temperatures, fumes, and airborne particles
- May be exposed to hazardous traffic conditions. Must have good spatial awareness, precise hand-eye coordination, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 35lbs. Work pattern involves shift work
- Overtime work may be required
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.