Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2003
Title: Professional Counselor
Department: Student Affairs
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Student Affairs
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 15
Grade Min: $58,809
Grade Mid: $70,571
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Professional Counselor provides counseling services to assist students identify, mitigate and/or remove barriers that impede their ability to reach their academic, career, and personal goals.
- Responsible and accountable for a case load of at-risk students (i.e. probation, suspension, repeaters, early alert) by providing counseling on disciplinary probation or suspension, as referred by the Dean of Student Services, to address behaviors in violation of the Student Code of Conduct
- Responds to early alert referrals requiring counselor intervention and work with faculty to assist students who may be experiencing academic or personal challenges
- Responds to a crisis and Campus/College-critical incidents requiring counseling services (e.g., classroom/group debriefing, supportive counseling)
- Provides community resources and follow-up as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned
- May supervise part-time employee(s)
Delegation of Work:
- May occasionally assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Provides recommendations on hiring employees, scheduling work hours and granting time off
- Master's degree from an accredited institution in counseling, higher education, social work, psychology, human services, and marriage and family therapy
- Minimum of three (3) years of job-related experience
- Counseling licensure (i.e. LPC, LMFT, LCSW, or Licensed Psychologist)
- Higher education counseling preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position
- Knowledge of MS Office programs
- Knowledge of Information Management Systems
- Knowledge of Counseling Theory
- Candidates must have strong analytical and problem solving skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexibility to meet priority deadlines and unexpected events
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community
- Ability to exhibit a detail oriented focus and is committed to a high level of service to students
- Ability to understand the critical importance of confidentiality and ability to maintain confidentiality at all times
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements.
- Position is physically comfortable; individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc.
- Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates the ability to advise and assist university students and/or prospective students with academic plans and course selection, financial options, career plans, and/or student opportunities.
- Shares relevant knowledge and insight to apprise students of the university's programs and services.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Listens and responds to student requests and concerns with patience and understanding.
- Treats students with respect.
- Leads the work of assigned staff.
- Assigns projects and tasks with clear instructions and understanding of work to be performed.
- Mentors and guides by sharing expertise, knowledge of work rules and procedures, and best practices.
- Follows up to ensure tasks and projects are completed within reasonable timeframes.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Demonstrates the ability to orally convey subject or message clearly and concisely to the intended audience.
- Generates interest and enthusiasm in the subject or message from the participants.
- Responds to participants' reactions or comments, and adjusts delivery style and/or format of presentation as needed.
- Possesses a thorough understanding of the subject or topic to provide practical responses to questions or issues.
- Displays applicable visuals and provides appropriate written materials to support the presentation.
- Demonstrates the ability to express information clearly and concisely in writing.
- Formulates and writes information to effectively communicate messages, ideas, and/or concepts for the intended recipient or audience.
- Uses appropriate words and tone, and correct grammar.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.