Basic Position Information
Job Code: 4075
Title: Instrument Technician
Department: Natural Sciences
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Academic Administration
Job Sub-Family: Research
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 12
Grade Min: $43,001
Grade Mid: $51,601
UHD Succession Plan: N/A
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Instrument Technician maintains the scientific instrumentation within the department of Natural Science.
- Monitors the instruments within the department of Natural Science to ensure optimal performance
- Troubleshoots instruments and makes any necessary repairs
- Gathers quotes and places orders for new instruments
- Pays invoices for parts and other expenses
- Maintains an inventory of all the department property
- Prepares and sets up labs to support physics courses
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Bachelor's degree in Educational Technology, Instructional Technology, Curriculum and Instruction, Education, or a related field
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience, including experience working with analytical instruments
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Mechanical and Electronic knowledge
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to troubleshoot problems with instruments;
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in science laboratory
- Work is normally performed in a laboratory environment. Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
- Work involves occasional exposure to elements such as oils, dust, fumes, airborne particles, inclement weather, and extreme temperatures
- May, on rare occasions, be required to work in a confined space or in a high dangerous place
- May, on rare occasions, be required to work near moving mechanical parts, or be exposed to the risk of an electric shock
- May, on rare occasions, be exposed to potentially hazardous bodily fluids or potentially hazardous or cancer-causing agents or chemicals
- Individual may occasionally be exposed to vibration. Must have clarity of vision, good spatial awareness, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors
- May be required to move items of up to 40lbs
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Communicates clearly, concisely, and with courtesy.
- Carefully listens to customer or thoroughly reads correspondence, and uses good judgment to respond appropriately. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Communicates requests for further action or resources to appropriate individuals with tact.
- Demonstrates the essential skills required to use equipment and tools needed to perform job duties and responsibilities.
- Follows maintenance and operation procedures and safety rules to minimize equipment malfunctions and prevent personal injuries.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.