Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2225
Title: Director, Upward Bound
Department: Upward Bound
Essential Personnel: N/A
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Student Success
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 17
Grade Min: $72,265
Grade Mid: $88,524
UHD Succession Plan: N/A
Criticality of Position: Vital
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Director, Upward Bound coordinates and implements the Upward Bound program, including administering and managing the budget, and hiring, training, and managing all staff.
- Manages Upward Bound Program grants
- Develops the budgets on a quarterly basis
- Ensures compliance with all grant and federal regulations
- Approves the Department of Education Annual Report (APR)
- Provides curriculum development and instructions for all staff to assure that all goals and objectives are met
- Approves all capital property forms for assets taken off UHD campus
- Prepares the UHD Annual Assessment Strategic Plan with the Office Program Coordinator
- Supervises full and part time employees; approves all bi -weekly reported time and leave
- Approves cost center verifications; ensures that account coding on purchases and departmental expenses are valid authorizations for the purchases
- Attends Department of Education national training, national, regional, state, and local workshops and trainings, and University College Leaders meetings as necessary
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Full -time and Part-time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Master's degree in Counseling, Education, Sociology, or a related field
- Minimum of seven (7) years of related job experience
- Must have a valid driver's license
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of Department of Education Federal Regulations;
- Knowledge of University Compliance & Ethics rules;
- Knowledge of grants and related processes in a higher education environment
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Good conflict management and negotiation skills;
- Excellent project management and multitasking skills
- Ability to oversee a budget and maintain fiscal control;
- Ability to lead and manage a team; ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in some or all of the following environments during the working day; an office; outdoor areas (2 to 4 hours); a library environment (2 to 4 hours)
- Work is normally performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements;
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks. Work occasionally involves exposure to inclement weather and/or extreme temperatures
- May, on rare occasions, be exposed to hazardous driving conditions
- Must have precise hand-eye coordination, good spatial awareness, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 45lbs
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates the ability to orally convey subject or message clearly and concisely to the intended audience.
- Generates interest and enthusiasm in the subject or message from the participants.
- Responds to participants' reactions or comments, and adjusts delivery style and/or format of presentation as needed.
- Possesses a thorough understanding of the subject or topic to provide practical responses to questions or issues.
- Displays applicable visuals and provides appropriate written materials to support the presentation.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.