Basic Position Information
Job Code: 3083
Title: Director, Student and Advising Services
Department: College of Business
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Academic Advising
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Job Grade: 17
Grade Min: $72,265
Grade Mid: $88,524
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director, Student and Advising Services oversees advising services for declared Business students. The Director collaborates with college leadership to formulate policies and practices that address the advising needs of all Business students, and that maintain the University's full compliance with all university, state, and federal academic policies and regulations affecting students.
- Manages the Advising Office, including maintaining the departmental budgets.
- Reviews records of newly admitted students to the BBA program; drafts academic plans and related correspondence for students filing for BBA.
- Provides qualitative and quantitative assessments of the overall effectiveness of the advising and student services.
- Reviews applications for graduation candidacy; works with the Registrars' Office to manage and maintain accurate advising and retention records and certification of degrees.
- Evaluates transfers and foreign credits for business courses; establishes and maintains electronic records for students in the student information system; enforces academic standards established in the University Catalog.
- Collaborates as necessary with various departments and colleges within the university.
- Serves as student advocate on matters relating to advising and academic concerns, as well as financial aid and scholarships; assists with the selection of scholarship recipients; determines annual membership lists of student groups, such as Beta Gamma Sigma and Phi Kappa Phi.
- Assists in the development of strategies to reaffirm accreditation of AACSB International.
- Develops and maintains coordination with Advancement to encourage continuing correspondence with COB alumni.
- Serves on committees, councils, and task forces as assigned, to represent student and the college administration.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Master's degree in Counseling, Education, or a related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience, including experience with University Catalog, policy statements, student records, and databases, and experience as an effective manager in multicultural workplace.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the operations of a business school and of university policies and procedures;
- Knowledge of the related trends, issues, and accepted practices.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Good leadership and people management skills;
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work well under pressure;
- Ability to deal with difficult situations in a diplomatic manner;
- Ability to be discreet about confidential information;
- Ability to exhibit an enthusiastic, positive, and professional demeanor and be able to relate well with students, faculty, and staff; ability to be a team player and maintain good relationships within the college and the university.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks. Individual will be required to work evenings and weekends.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.