Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2610
Title: Director, Student Business Services
Department: Student Business Services
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Financial Services
Job Sub-Family: Accounting, Budget & Finance
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 19
Grade Min: $91,458
Grade Mid: $112,036
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: Vital
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director, Student Business Services provides leadership, direction, and management of the Student Financial Department, overseeing and enforcing internal financial controls for the enrollment process while maintaining compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Oversees the recording of university deposits through the student financial system, approves journal entries for revenue, and works with accounting to resolve any issues regarding various revenue transactions;
- Coordinates with UHS Treasury, Accounting to ensure funds are available for refunds
- Develops short and long-term plans for the unit; work with departmental staff to complete audits and reporting; Continuous Improvement Process and Reports (CIP/CIR); develops and utilizes queries
- Oversees student accounts, student billing, accounts receivable, student refunds, student collections, payments, and cashiering
- Provides leadership and direction in financial management and fiscal policy review and revisions, and ensures compliance with standard accounting procedures as well as university, state, and federal regulations
- Oversees the timely closing and reconciliation of general ledger accounts
- Collaborates with AVP Business Affairs to establish and implement department objectives, policies, procedures, risk management strategies, university merchants, and budgets
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Full-time and Part-time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the trends, issues, and accepted practices of the student financials function in a higher education setting
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficiency in using computer software, particularly MS Excel, Qualtrics, and PeopleSoft
- Ability to create queries using SQL/Query Creation to extract data
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements;
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Manages department or section operations consistent with department/section goals and objectives.
- Administers the department/section budget ensuring effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment through motivation, encouragement, and mentorship of staff.
- Ensures department/section compliance with university and department policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Keeps management apprised of department/section activities and issues requiring senior management input.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.