Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2147
Title: Director, College Advising Services
Department: College of Public Service
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Academic Advising
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 16
Grade Min: $65,866
Grade Mid: $79,040
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director, College Advising Services oversees all functions of the college's advising center. This position develops and implements new processes that advance the advising center in serving students, UHD, and the community.
- Develops and implements new processes that advance the advising center's purpose of producing successful graduates and alumni
- Collaborates and coordinates with various departments and colleges as required in relation to recruitment, retention, and graduation
- Reviews and co-approves transfer guides and course articulations from all transfer colleges and universities
- Provides qualitative and quantitative assessments of the overall effectiveness of the advising center
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Full Time and Part Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Makes final decision on evaluating employee performance, hiring new employees, disciplinary actions, scheduling work hours, granting time off, and making recommendations on handling employee grievances and complaints.
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, developments, and best practices of an advising center in an institute of higher education
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to conduct qualitative and quantitative assessments
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Manages department or section operations consistent with department/section goals and objectives.
- Administers the department/section budget ensuring effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment through motivation, encouragement, and mentorship of staff.
- Ensures department/section compliance with university and department policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Keeps management apprised of department/section activities and issues requiring senior management input.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.