Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2840
Title: Director, Advancement
Department: Advancement & University Relations
Essential Personnel: N/A
Job Family: External Relations
Job Sub-Family: University Advancement
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 19
Grade Min: $91,458
Grade Mid: $112,036
UHD Succession Plan: Y
Criticality of Position: Significant
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director, Advancement plans, organizes and directs major gifts programs for a broad portfolio of prospects, including individuals, foundations, and corporations. The Director works closely with the Vice President for Advancement and university leadership in developing a comprehensive program that aligns fundraising with institutional needs.
- Grows philanthropy through identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major donors
- Works with university leadership to identify, prioritize, and coordinate funding opportunities
- Assists with the development and implementation of a strategic plan for philanthropic support
- Oversees and participates in the preparation of proposals, stewardship reports, and other advancement communications as needed
- Supervises Corporate & Foundation Relations staff in the identification, research, engagement, and solicitation of corporate and foundation donors; oversees proposal preparation
- Utilizes donor database to track contacts and proposal activity
- Develops internal relationships that will support and lead to external funding
- Supports colleagues whole responsibilities are focused on annual giving and alumni relations
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) credentials, or extensive professional development in fundraising is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the trends, issues, and practices related to fundraising and advancement.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required to liaise with a wide range of internal and external constituencies.
- Ability to prioritize projects and work with internal and external partners to ensure the timely completion of projects
- Ability to use strategic judgment
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements;
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Building External Relationships
- Demonstrates the ability to build rapport and develop relationships with external constituents.
- Displays a genuine interest in constituents' ideas and concerns, and pursues mutual interests and aspirations between the university and external constituents.
- Builds trust and forms alliances through shared respect and cooperation.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.