Basic Position Information
Job Code: 5149
Title: Coordinator, Fitness
Department: Sports and Fitness
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Student Support
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 11
Grade Min: $39,923
Grade Mid: $46,910
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Coordinator, Fitness coordinates, markets, and facilitates health and fitness programs.
- Schedules and promotes health and fitness programs – fitness classes, healthy workshops, fitness challenges, personal training, nutrition counseling and massage therapy
- Responsible for supervising programming and services located on the second floor fitness center to include Challenge Program and Fitness Release Time
- Recruits, hires, supervises and schedules fitness program staff
- Creates accountability, evaluative and reward systems for fitness program participants
- Coordinates and facilitates summer health and fitness programs for new and existing students
- Assists with various Sports & Fitness hosted events such as Sports & Fitness Awards Banquet, Welcome Week, Health Fair, Orientation, etc.
- Serves as advisor for various fitness programs.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Full Time and Part Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Minimum of two (2) years of job-related experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of fitness programs, and facilities available in a higher education environment, and of the related trends, issues, and accepted practices.
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; good leadership skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in gymnasium or other physical training room (2 - 4 hours) and a sports field or court (2 - 4 hours).
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks. Work involves occasional exposure to elements, such as extreme or inclement temperatures. Must have precise hand-eye coordination, good spatial awareness, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors. Must have the ability to move items of up to 45lbs.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates the ability to advise and assist university students and/or prospective students with academic plans and course selection, financial options, career plans, and/or student opportunities.
- Shares relevant knowledge and insight to apprise students of the university's programs and services.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Listens and responds to student requests and concerns with patience and understanding.
- Treats students with respect.
- Leads the work of assigned staff.
- Assigns projects and tasks with clear instructions and understanding of work to be performed.
- Mentors and guides by sharing expertise, knowledge of work rules and procedures, and best practices.
- Follows up to ensure tasks and projects are completed within reasonable timeframes.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.