Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2246
Title: Coordinator/Advisor, Distance Education
Department: Distance Education
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Academic Administration
Job Sub-Family: Program Administration
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 13
Grade Min: $47,731
Grade Mid: $57,277
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Coordinator/Advisor, Distance Education coordinates and provides oversight for UHD's off-campus and online operations including student recruiting and program schedule development.
- Advises and assists current and prospective distance education students in mapping out their education career and meeting their educational goals; provides advice regarding financial aid, career advising, testing, and admissions.
- Recruits distance learning students, providing advice regarding courses, co-requisites, and pre-requisites offered at UHD; schedules and organizes recruitment events.
- Conducts formal and informal presentations and information sessions to prospective students and to community college administration, faculty, and staff; builds and maintains relationships with community college Advisors; serves as point of contact for any questions or concerns that relate to UHD and UHD students.
- Coordinates student activities, meetings, and special events at off campus locations.
- Collaborates with and assists others to create the academic schedule.
- Attends events and workshops and serves on committees as necessary to promote UHD's off campus programs.
- Coordinates and manages UHD's operations at assigned off campus site, including assisting with program support, program evaluation, academic calendars, securing classroom space, book orders, and arranging technology services and support for faculty and students; manages the finances associated with off campus site, including procuring necessary supplies, food, etc.
- Maintains and updates the major declaration list in student information system; evaluates transcripts, creates degree plans, processes and verifies graduation applications, and assists with the application process as required.
- Serves as liaison between UHD academic departments and UHD Kingwood students.
- Interfaces as necessary with UHD administrators and departments and with off-campus administrators to resolve student related issues.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- May supervise part-time employees
Delegation of Work:
- May assign work to subordinate(s)
- May train and counsel subordinate(s). May provide feedback to a supervisor regarding other employees' performance, but does not make hiring and dismissal recommendations.
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, developments, and best practices in distance education;
- Knowledge of how courses transfer and apply towards degree plans.
- Strong technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office and PeopleSoft;
- Excellent customer service skills; good interpersonal, public speaking, and communication skills;
- Basic accounting skills;
- Graphic design skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 25lbs.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Demonstrates the ability to advise and assist university students and/or prospective students with academic plans and course selection, financial options, career plans, and/or student opportunities.
- Shares relevant knowledge and insight to apprise students of the university's programs and services.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Listens and responds to student requests and concerns with patience and understanding.
- Treats students with respect.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
Building External Relationships
- Demonstrates the ability to build rapport and develop relationships with external constituents.
- Displays a genuine interest in constituents' ideas and concerns, and pursues mutual interests and aspirations between the university and external constituents.
- Builds trust and forms alliances through shared respect and cooperation.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.