Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2795
Title: Budget Analyst II
Department: Budget Office
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Financial Services
Job Sub-Family: Accounting, Budget & Finance
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 15
Grade Min: $58,809
Grade Mid: $70,571
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Budget Analyst II reviews and approves budget journals submitted by various university departments, compiles data required for the annual budget development, and prepares, monitors, reconciles and reports on the annual operating budget.
- Prepares, analyzes, and submits the quarterly ABEST/USAS reconciliation and the quarterly FTE report for the university.
- Researches and compiles the data required for the preparation and submission of the Legislative Appropriations Request.
- Reviews and maintains financial reports required for month-end and year-end close.
- Provides guidance as necessary to other Budget Analysts.
- Identifies, researches, and resolves budget discrepancies related to financials and personnel; advises and assists university staff concerning budget related inquiries; calculates and prepares journal entries and reallocations to resolve discrepancies as needed.
- Assists with establishing the budget for the following fiscal year, analyzing financial reports, reviewing revenue trends, and meeting with UHD executives as necessary.
- Assist with the annual cash transfer process, researching and reviewing reports, preparing the necessary journal entries, and reviewing and approving overrides for vouchers, requisitions, and purchase orders.
- Conducts the annual budget training for all departments at the university.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of basic Accounting and Budgeting principles, and the related trends, issues, and accepted practices.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills;
- Good customer care skills; excellent research skills;
- Proficiency in using computer software, particularly MS Excel and PowerPoint, Oracle, and PeopleSoft.
- Ability to apply critical thinking; ability to organize and multitask;
- Ability to create reports.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Research and Analysis
- Applies knowledge and skills to collect and analyze relevant data and information.
- Assesses benefits and risks, and prepares comprehensive reports of findings.
- Submits recommendations for management's review and evaluation.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.