Basic Position Information
Job Code: 3908
Title: Associate Director, User Support Services
Department: User Support Services
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Technology Services
Job Sub-Family: User Support
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 18
Grade Min: $80,937
Grade Mid: $99,147
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Associate Director, User Support Services assists with all aspects of technology support including planning and managing resources; budget review and allocation, directing Service Desk operations, managing technical support staff, overseeing University wide projects, researching, identifying, and implementing new technology.
- Oversees and manages Service Desk operations, reviews progress, and directs resources as necessary.
- Manages University wide technology, supports projects including University desktop project, works with students, faculty and staff on IT projects
- Supervises, assigns work, hires, schedules, trains, develops, evaluates, and directs personnel
- Conducts service assessment and user surveys, provides reports to IT leadership, analyzes UCCX call statistics. Plans and implements continuous improvement processes
- Researches new technology and evaluates, tests, and documents new software applications, hardware, and procedures.
- Monitors and distributes incoming technical calls; assists with troubleshooting and evaluating technical problems, and handles escalated calls
- Supports a variety of software and network applications, provides peripheral support, and remote user support
- Provides support for all User Support Services activities and functions in the absence of the Director
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Full Time and Part Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology or a related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- Supervision of technical staff
- Technical project management experience
- Experience with call management and remote support software
- Management of technical help desk or call center
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, issues, accepted practices relevant to the position.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, as well as management, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment, classroom, training room, auditorium, and computer laboratory.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
- Expected to carry and respond to cell phone at all times
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
Building External Relationships
- Demonstrates the ability to build rapport and develop relationships with external constituents.
- Displays a genuine interest in constituents' ideas and concerns, and pursues mutual interests and aspirations between the university and external constituents.
- Builds trust and forms alliances through shared respect and cooperation.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge and skills in a technical area.
- Effectively applies expertise to troubleshoot existing systems and develop solutions with existing technology.
- Competent to learn new technologies and integrate them with existing technology.
- Willing to share expertise and provide technical assistance to others.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.