Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2284
Title: Associate Director, Gator Success Center
Department: University College
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Student Success
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 16
Grade Min: $65,866
Grade Mid: $79,040
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Associate Director, Gator Success Center provides leadership in the coordination, implementation, and assessment of the Gator Peer Mentoring Program, and provides key elements of support for First-Year Experience faculty and staff on behalf of the Gator Success Center.
- Helps to grow the Peer Mentor Program to assist incoming freshman students.
- Collaborates with the leadership of University College to articulate and implement a campus vision for the Gator Peer Mentoring Program.
- Recruits, trains, supervises, and evaluates Gator Peer Mentors; provides ongoing professional development plans; conducts training for Freshman Seminar faculty on the successful integration of peer mentors in seminars.
- Collaborates with the Associate Dean of University College in the scheduling of seminars.
- Assists the Center leadership to develop goals and success measures pertaining to Gator Peer Mentoring and other First-Year programs.
- Prepares outcome assessments to further develop or improve Center services.
- Designs and maintains the Gator Peer Mentoring website and contributes to the social media presence of the Center.
- Assists with the development and marketing of Center programming.
- Represents the Center and Center leadership as required.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Full Time and Part Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Bachelor's degree in Education or a related field
- Minimum of four (4) years of related job experience, including experience working in mentoring programs or similar peer-based programs, and experience managing or coordinating staff.
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license.
- Experience working at an HSI or MSI is preferred; experience working with peer mentors to improve student success is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of academic coaching, leadership, student development, and peer mentoring best practices and the related trends, issues, and accepted practices;
- Knowledge of college-level learning strategies and study skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to implement best practice policies and procedures in academic coaching, leadership, student development, and peer mentoring;
- Ability to train others; ability to develop and execute effective training and other meaningful programming for peer mentors;
- Ability to effectively manage a team of high-achieving individuals;
- Ability to collaborate and communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates the ability to orally convey subject or message clearly and concisely to the intended audience.
- Generates interest and enthusiasm in the subject or message from the participants.
- Responds to participants' reactions or comments, and adjusts delivery style and/or format of presentation as needed.
- Possesses a thorough understanding of the subject or topic to provide practical responses to questions or issues.
- Displays applicable visuals and provides appropriate written materials to support the presentation.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.