Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2336
Title: Associate Director, Financial Aid
Department: Financial Aid
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Financial Aid
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 16
Grade Min: $65,866
Grade Mid: $79,040
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Associate Director, Financial Aid assists with the overall operation of the Office of Financial Aid, and manages the office processing functions and customer service experiences. The Associate Director coordinates services and programs with other institutional offices to improve recruitment and retention efforts.
- Supervises the processing, customer service, and loans functions, ensuring that each function contributes to the timely, compliant, and cohesive operation of the financial aid office.
- Processes financial aid applications and awards and disburses financial aid.
- Analyzes data associated with applications and disbursement, coordinating with other staff members and/or offices as necessary; ensures compliance with relevant policies and procedures and data accuracy.
- Troubleshoots processing issues within the financial aid system; ensures that comprehensive data management protocols are in place to create and maintain efficiency; performs testing as needed for regular system updates.
- Works with institutional offices as required to promote and inform students and staff of the financial aid function; strategizes efforts for recruitment and retention in relation to financial aid.
- Formulates, implements, reviews, and evaluates policies, procedures, and standards to ensure departmental compliance with financial aid guidelines and objectives; makes suggestions regarding policy changes as appropriate.
- Assists with the overall mission of the university.
- Serves as back up for various positions and functions related to awarding, processing, and supervising within the financial aid function.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the financial aid function in a higher education environment, and of the related trends, issues, and practices;
- Knowledge of financial aid systems processing.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Good customer service skills.
- Ability to run system processes and perform system testing; ability to create and analyze reports;
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Manages department or section operations consistent with department/section goals and objectives.
- Administers the department/section budget ensuring effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment through motivation, encouragement, and mentorship of staff.
- Ensures department/section compliance with university and department policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Keeps management apprised of department/section activities and issues requiring senior management input.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.