Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2815
Title: Associate Director, Business Affairs
Department: General Accounting
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Financial Services
Job Sub-Family: Finance & Accounting
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 18
Grade Min: $80,937
Grade Mid: $99,147
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Associate Director of Business Affairs is responsible for the timely and accurate reporting of the University's operating results on a monthly, annual (AFR) and ad-hoc basis and ensures compliance with GAAP. Manages the universities property records and reporting in compliance with state, federal laws, policies and procedures.
- Ensures all property acquired is classified, coded and entered into the asset management system so that the inventory and other processes such as depreciations calculation can operate. Oversees the processes in various financial systems to ensure they produce correct financial reports.
- Collaborates with Accounting staff concerning fiscal year-end processes and procedures and UHD's submission of the annual financial report (AFR) and various other state reports. UHD/UHS/State reporting and special projects including audits, system upgrades/implementations etc.
- Keeps abreast of implements, teaches and enforces all aspects of property management laws, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Performs monthly inventory verification audits on all departments and reports results to compliance committees.
- Collaborates with I.T. to provide input and administers testing of the asset management system to ensure setup and upgrades.
- Performs reconciliations of the asset management system with various financial systems.
- Prepares for financial month-end and year-end close; approves journal entries.
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or a related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the trends, issues, and accepted practices of property management accounting in a higher education setting
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Proficiency in using computer software, particularly MS Excel and PeopleSoft
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements;
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Manages assigned financial resources in compliance with federal, State, and university policies and procedures.
- Monitors expenditures to ensure they are authorized and within approved budget.
- Reports accurate and reliable data of financial transactions and resources.
- Promptly notifies management of budget issues and/or discrepancies.
- Demonstrates the ability to make informed decisions in a timely manner.
- Assimilates and/or secures relevant information to assess the risks and benefits of alternatives.
- Considers impact of decision in the long and short term.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.