Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2232
Title: Assistant Director, Networking Infrastructure
Department: Computing, Telecom & Video Net
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Technology Services
Job Sub-Family: Technical Services
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 18
Grade Min: $80,937
Grade Mid: $99,147
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Assistant Director, Networking Infrastructure manages the Telecommunications and the Video Network Services functions at the university. The Assistant Director consults on and makes recommendations in relation to projects as required, and supervises team members in other sections in the absence of the Director.
- Oversees all operations of the Telecommunications and the Video Network Services functions.
- Manages the Telecommunications and Video Network Services teams.
- Conducts all necessary vendor and inter-departmental negotiations.
- Prepares purchasing documentation; reviews relevant contracts.
- Performs provisioning and programming of Audio/Visual Systems.
- Provides relevant advice on technology planning and design, including conducting research, evaluations, and lab tests to gage functionality.
- Manages other staff members in the department in the absence of the Director.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Full-time and part-time employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology, Information Systems Management, or a related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license
- Knowledge of Cisco UC networking and/or AMX programing and design is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Broad understanding of Audio Visual and Telecommunication design
- Understanding of servers, web services, and networking; knowledge of the functionality of networks, PC 's and related peripherals.
- Strong programming skills
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office, PDF tools, and CAD or related software
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Good organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to manage people; ability to troubleshoot issues; ability to assess scenarios for addressing fixes, unplanned outages, and work arounds.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in some or all of the following environments during the working day; an office (6 to 8 hours); a classroom, training room, or an auditorium (2 to 4 hours).
- Work is usually performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc.
- May occasionally be required to work in a confined space or in inclement weather conditions.
- May occasionally be exposed to vibration or be at risk of an electrical shock. Must be able to move up to 35lbs.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Manages department or section operations consistent with department/section goals and objectives.
- Administers the department/section budget ensuring effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment through motivation, encouragement, and mentorship of staff.
- Ensures department/section compliance with university and department policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Keeps management apprised of department/section activities and issues requiring senior management input.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.