Basic Position Information
Job Code: 3090
Title: Assistant Director, Institutional Research
Department: Institutional Effectiveness
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Academic Administration
Job Sub-Family: Academic Affairs
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 15
Grade Min: $58,809
Grade Mid: $70,571
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Assistant Director, Institutional Research supports all aspects of institutional research. Plans, designs, and implements comprehensive institutional research projects to provide information about the University's functioning, its students, and program. The Assistant Director supports and coordinates completion of reports and ad hoc requests from internal and external constituents. The Assistant Director ensures accurate and timely completion of mandated and ad hoc reports.
- Assists with the planning, design, implementation, and administration of the Office of Data Analytics and Institutional Research (DAIR) operations.
- Collaborates and interacts with business units and outside constituents to meet reporting needs and ensure accurate data
- Manages office workflow including assignment and prioritization of tasks
- Assigns work to staff members
- Compiles reports for internal and external audiences
- Performs quality assurance checks on reports developed by others
- Manages ad hoc inquiries from both internal and external clients
- Applies research methodology and statistical analysis to support the department in the interpretation of institutional data.
- Gathers, analyzes, and presents data for external audiences, including mandated state and federal reports
- Develop and maintain dashboards of data visualizations on Power BI for key stakeholders on campus
- Be key liaison to IT and support all data maintenance, warehousing, and visualization activities.
- Participates in the development, testing of the data warehouse
- Builds queries from PeopleSoft
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Supervises part-time employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Makes final decision on evaluating employee performance; coaching and counseling; and granting time off. Provides recommendations on training; handling employee grievances and complaints; promotions; hiring new employees; discharging employees; disciplinary actions; and scheduling work hours of employees.
- Master's degree in a technical or quantitative field
- Minimum of years three (3) years of job-related experience
- Experience managing projects
- Experience with presenting complex report information to a variety of audiences
- Experience providing data and research results under tight deadlines.
- Experience with PeopleSoft, including query building
- Experience in extracting data from data marts, data cubes, and data warehouses
- Experience with creating visualization of data
- Master's degree in Educational Psychology, Statistics, or other related fields.
- Advanced experience in extracting data from data marts, data cubes, and data warehouses
- Experience with training others on data literacy
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position
- Knowledge of how to conducts statistical analysis
- Candidate must have strong analytical and problem solving skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Candidate must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including in-person and electronic means
- Excellent organizational skills and a positive attitude
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community
- Documented ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects.
- Ability to plan and adapt to change
- Ability to effectively multitask a wide variety of separate projects while under firm deadlines.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment, which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements.
- Position is physically comfortable; individual has discretion about sitting walking, standing, etc.
- Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
Research and Analysis
- Applies knowledge and skills to collect and analyze relevant data and information.
- Assesses benefits and risks, and prepares comprehensive reports of findings.
- Submits recommendations for management's review and evaluation.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.