Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2144
Title: Academic Advisor I
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Academic Advising
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 11
Grade Min: $39,923
Grade Mid: $46,910
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Academic Advisor I advises students on academic programs, and works closely with students in an effort to help select, outline, and achieve educational and developmental goals.
- Provides academic advising for new, transfer, and current students.
- Assists with maintaining student enrollment and retention; assists with various events to aid student enrollment and retention initiatives.
- Provides school/work/life balance guidance, taking course loads into consideration.
- Reviews graduation requirements; provides guidance on college and degree requirements.
- Provides various student resources as required.
- Communicates university policies and procedures to current and prospective students.
- Communicates and engages with high school partnerships to encourage enrollment.
- Provides advising to first time in college students, as well as transfer students from various junior colleges.
- Maintains continuous communication with students as necessary, via email, telephone, and in-person consultations to ensure accurate placement and schedule planning.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- Minimum of one (1) year of related job experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the advising function in a higher education environment, and the related trends, issues, and best practices; knowledge of courses offered and the requirements for specific degree plans, including co-requisites and pre-requisites; knowledge of TSI policies.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; excellent interpersonal and communication skills; good organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates the ability to advise and assist university students and/or prospective students with academic plans and course selection, financial options, career plans, and/or student opportunities.
- Shares relevant knowledge and insight to apprise students of the university's programs and services.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Listens and responds to student requests and concerns with patience and understanding.
- Treats students with respect.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.