COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Update
Last updated 5/22/2020 8:00 a.m.
Two UHD employees have tested positive for COVID-19. If, during the course of any investigation, it is determined that someone is at risk, the person will be contacted directly through UHD's contact tracing process.
UHD has announced the
Gator Emergency Fund for students impacted by COVID-19. Learn more about how you can help our students. If you're a student who needs assistance, you can read more about the Emergency funds and application.
Online Classes and Campus Operations
- UHD announced the waiving of some fees for summer courses and May mini-mester including Student Service Fee, University Center fee, Wellness & Success Center Fee, Library Fee, and International Education Fee.
- All summer classes will take place online.
- Campus operations are being conducted online. With the exception of essential personnel, faculty and staff are telecommuting.
- There is limited access to campus. Faculty and staff needing access to the campus during this time must present a photo ID at the UHD Police Department in order to enter the One Main Building. Key Fob access will be required to enter other campus buildings.
- At this time, there is no confirmed date for reopening campus. Presently, UHD and other state institutions are abiding by orders from Texas Gov. Greg Abbott as well as health officials. UHD is finalizing plans for bringing staff back to campus in phases during the summer.; With the exception of a limited nymber of preapproved student workers, students are not permitted on campus at this time. UHD will adhere to all UHS guidelines while developing its own reopening protocols.
- UHD’s off-site centers at UHD Northwest, Lone Star-Kingwood, and Lone Star-CyFair are closed. All classes offered from these locations will take place online through summer.
- Information for faculty and staff telecommuting is available on the ESO web page.
- Information for faculty transitioning to online courses can be found at Keep on Teaching UHD.
Important Updates for Students
- Spring Commencement is postponed until December. A date will be released later in the summer
- UHD will honor graduates with a Virtual Graduation Celebration that will take place at 7 p.m. on June 11 via UHD’s Facebook page. This is meant to complement the postponed ceremony.
- Eligible students will still graduate on-time despite this delay and diplomas will be mailed to graduates in August.
- For more information regarding about Commencement, please visit the
Office of the Registrar's website.
- UHD approved a new grading option in the Spring semester to further support students as they move to online learning environments and cope with COVID-19.This policy has been extended through the Summer. Additional details on this change can be found on the Interim Grading Option page on the UHD Registrar's Website.
If you are experiencing anxiety or stress because of COVID-19, please consider contacting Counseling Services by phone or video at 713-500-3852.
- Student Health Services will answer health-related questions by phone – 713-221-8137
Travel & Prevention Statement
UHD continues to monitor the outbreak of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and is implementing policies aimed at minimizing the risk to faculty, staff and students. These include an expanded travel policy restricting all domestic and international travel through at least July 31, 2020. For faculty, staff, and students who are considering personal travel at this time, please give careful consideration to the risks involved and make wise decisions that take into account your personal health, the health and wellbeing of those around you, and the health of the entire UHD community.
The University also requires faculty, staff and students who have traveled to any international country to self-quarantine for 14 days following their return. UHD community members who have traveled internationally since February 1 AND/OR are planning travel to these destinations are required to
submit this travel registration form. If a 14-day self-quarantine period is required, faculty, staff and students will need to complete a
Request to Return to Campus Form at the end of this self-quarantine period and may not access any UHD campus (UHD, Kingwood, Northwest, Cy-Fair, Coleman) until cleared to return.
As the COVID-19 outbreak continues to be a developing situation in our city, state and nation, these policies will be updated as needed. Continue to check back on this site for policy updates. Additionally, the University will continue to notify faculty, staff and students regarding policy updates and other details related to the Coronavirus.
Update Contact Information to Receive Updates
UHD faculty, students and staff are encouraged to
update their contact information online to ensure they receive timely notices regarding the University's responses to COVID-19.