COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Update
UHD is currently at Step 2
For the most current information on number of cases of COVID-19 for UHD, please visit the COVID-19 cases
- UHD is currently operating in
Step 2 – Orange.
- Classes with on-campus meeting requirements are meeting on-campus as originally scheduled.
- Faculty, staff and students are encouraged to get vaccinated. Visit our
Vaccine Information page to learn more about how to get vaccinated.
- UHD has emergency funding available for eligible students through
- On June 1, UHD will switch to
Step 3 – Yellow.
- Classes with on-campus meeting requirements will meet on-campus as originally scheduled.
- UHD Staff will work on-campus a minimum of three days per week at this time.
- All campus entrances will be open. It is not necessary to enter through designated entrances as of June 1.
- July 12, 2021 Operations:
- On July 12, UHD will switch to
Step 4 – Green.
- UHD staff will resume their pre-COVID on-campus work schedules.
- UHD will transition back to class schedules that will include traditional face-to-face classes along with the regular complement of hybrid, online classes and online interactive classes historically offered during a fall semester.
- It is expected that approximately 60 percent of classes at UHD will be offered face-to-face, with the remaining 40 percent offered in various hybrid, online and online interactive modalities.
- As of April 5, 2021, Governor Abbott issued Executive Order GA-35 relating to COVID-19 vaccines and the protection of Texans’ private health information.
This order seeks to protect individuals from forced disclosure of their vaccine status or from the creation of vaccine passports. Specifically, the order states that:
- No government entity in Texas can require persons to receive a COVID-19 vaccine while it is administered under an emergency use authorization.
- Any public or private entity that is receiving public funding in any form (grants, loans, contracts) shall not require a consumer to provide documentation of vaccine status while COVID vaccines are under an emergency use authorization nor are they allowed to deny entry to the customer based on vaccination status.
- While the Texas Governor’s Office has issued an Executive Order that includes ending the state’s mask mandate,
all UHD safety protocols remain in place until further notice. These include
required masks/face coverings on campus at all times, maintaining proper distancing in hallways, classrooms and public spaces, and a four-person limit on elevators.
- UHD will continue to communicate updates via the website and other campus communication mechanisms.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information
- While UHD does not require that people be vaccinated prior to coming to campus, faculty, staff and students are encouraged to get vaccinated.
- Visit our
Vaccine Information page to learn more about how to get vaccinated.
Resources for Students
Alternate Grading Option: UHD will offer students the option to select an S/U grade in any of the following semesters: Spring, May, and Summer 2021. Find more information about this grading option on the Registrar’s website.
Gator Cares: Since March 2020, UHD has awarded over $5M in emergency funding to UHD students. UHD has opened the application for Gator Cares for summer and fall 2021. Visit the
Gator Cares page to learn more and apply.
Parking for Spring Semester: The University of Houston-Downtown’s Parking and Transportation Services will not charge for parking in the student lots or student garage as Gators return to campus in the spring semester. Student parking areas include the Daly Street parking lot, Parking lot B, Naylor Lot, Washington Street parking lot and Vine Street Garage. Additionally, Parking and Transportation Services will issue refunds to UHD students who have purchased parking passes for spring but did not utilize the permits due to classes being held online instruction through mid-March. For more information, visit the Parking and Transportation websiteor email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Technology Assistance: If you are a student, and have needs related to the technology required for online classes, please complete the Technology Needs Survey.
Health & Safety
UHD has requires
face coverings and
social distancing on campus and has implemented numerous
campus safety protocols to protect the safety of students, faculty and staff.
Travel & Prevention Statement
Domestic and International Travel for faculty, staff and graduate students
For university-sanctioned domestic and international travel, only travel consistent with the mission of the University will be permitted at the discretion of the applicable Vice President. This is effective until further notice based on conditions both in the U.S. and abroad.
Return from International Travel
The following CDC guidelines are applicable to faculty, staff and students returning from international travel, whether university-sanctioned or personal:
If You Are Fully Vaccinated:
You are not required to quarantine upon returning from international travel; however, you should:
- Get tested with a viral test 3-5 days after travel.
- If your test is positive, isolate yourself to protect others from getting infected.
- Self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms; isolate and get tested if you develop symptoms.
- Follow all state and local recommendations or requirements after travel.
If You Are Not Fully Vaccinated:
Upon returning from international travel, you must either:
- Self-quarantine for 10 days OR
- Get tested 3-5 days after travel AND stay home for 7 days after travel.
- Even if you test negative, stay home for the full 7 days.
- If your test is positive, stay home and follow the COVID-19 Diagnosis protocols.
Regardless of whether you get tested or not, you should avoid being around high-risk individuals for 14 days upon returning from international travel.
These requirements for self-quarantine includes international students who are traveling to the U.S. for summer classes. Upon arriving in the U.S., please submit the Reporting Potential Exposure form. (Note that no forms are required to be completed in advance of your travel, and no forms are required if you have been fully vaccinated.)
Before returning to campus following international travel if you have not been fully vaccinated, you must complete the form Request to Return to Campus and receive written approval.
The University of Houston-Downtown has cancelled all spring and summer 2021 Learning Abroad programs. This includes all faculty-led programs as well as affiliated, exchange, student service organization programs, sponsored scholarship, fellowship or research opportunities abroad, and any other programs that would be considered international travel for curricular or co-curricular purposes.
Students may continue to plan fall 2021 programs abroad with the help of their Learning Abroad Advisor. However, students should understand that future Learning Abroad opportunities are subject to change based on conditions both in the U.S. and abroad.
Update Contact Information to Receive Updates
UHD faculty, students and staff are encouraged to update their contact information online to ensure they receive timely notices regarding the University's responses to COVID-19.