COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Update
Last updated 8/7/2020 5:30 p.m.
UHD is currently at Level 1 Red
For the most current information on number of cases of COVID-19 for UHD, please visit the COVID-19 cases
- The COVID-19 Response Task Force (comprised of faculty, staff and student leaders) was assembled to advise University Leadership on the community’s response to the pandemic. UHD Leadership has accepted the conceptual framework of recommendations offered by the Taskforce.
- Based on Task Force recommendations, the status of UHD operations and classes will be guided by the state of public health, as reflected by the threat assessment level identified for Harris County, using the color-based system presented by county officials.
- As a state institution, UHD ultimately follows the directives of the Office of the Texas Governor.
- Presently, UHD’s Threat Level remains at Level 1-Red. While it is uncertain whether conditions will improve in August, the University will start the fall semester at Level 1-Red. UHD will remain at “Red” status through at least Sept. 7.
- Read more information about how each threat level will impact campus.
- If Threat Levels in the city and county improve significantly, faculty and staff will be notified regarding any changes to campus operations and course delivery. Our goal is to provide one week’s notice prior to changing the threat level, to allow faculty, staff and students time to prepare for the change.
- Information for faculty and staff telecommuting is available on the ESO web page.
Fall 2020 Semester
- All summer classes, including off-site centers at UHD Northwest, Lone Star-Kingwood, and Lone Star-CyFair are taking place online.
- UHD waived specific fees for summer and May mini-semester including Student Service Fee, University Center fee, Wellness & Success Center Fee, Library Fee, and International Education Fee.
- UHD approved a new grading option for the Spring and Summer semesters to further support students as they cope with COVID-19. Details on this can be found on the Interim Grading Option page on the UHD Registrar's Website.
Health & Safety
- Measures taken on campus to help facilitate safety include Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including face masks, increased cleaning protocols, hand sanitizer stations, controlled building access, social distancing signage, Plexiglas shields in high traffic areas and more.
- If you are a student who is experiencing anxiety or stress because of COVID-19, please consider contacting Counseling Services by phone or video at 713-500-3852.
- Student Health Services will answer health-related questions by phone – 713-221-8137
- Students, Faculty and Staff must report COVID-19 diagnosis and possible exposure. In addition, individuals who have been quarantined must request permission to return to campus.
- Since March, UHD has awarded nearly $3.5 million in financial assistance to qualified students. These funds include private donations and federal assistance from the Higher Education Emergency Relief Funds (authorized by the CARES Act). While applications for Emergency Funding are now closed, students are encouraged to complete their FAFSA as soon as possible, to ensure maximum financial aid for fall.
- If you are a student, and have needs related to the technology required for online classes, please complete the Technology Needs Survey.
Travel & Prevention Statement
Business domestic and international travel through at least August 31, 2020 is currently restricted. For faculty, staff, and students who are considering personal travel at this time, please give careful consideration to the risks involved.
The University also requires faculty, staff and students who have traveled to any international country or on a cruise to self-report this travel and to self-quarantine for 14 days following their return. UHD community members who have traveled internationally since February 1 AND/OR are planning to travel internationally are required to submit this travel registration form
. If a 14-day self-quarantine period is required, faculty, staff and students will need to complete a Request to Return to Campus Form
at the end of this self-quarantine period and may not access any UHD campus (UHD, Kingwood, Northwest, Cy-Fair, Coleman) until cleared to return.
Update Contact Information to Receive Updates
UHD faculty, students and staff are encouraged to update their contact information online to ensure they receive timely notices regarding the University's responses to COVID-19.