COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Update
Last updated 9/9/2020 1:30 p.m.
UHD is currently at Step 2
For the most current information on number of cases of COVID-19 for UHD, please visit the COVID-19 cases
- Based on
COVID-19 Response Task Force recommendations, the status of UHD operations and classes for fall 2020 will be guided by UHD’s
Response Matrix and other guidance from state officials and health professionals.
- As a state institution, UHD follows the directives of the Office of the Texas Governor. By executive order, the Governor has moved Texas into
Phase Three of his reopening plan, in order to safely and strategically restart and revitalize all aspects of the State of Texas, including schools and universities.
- Presently, consistent with the Governor’s directives and the opening guidelines from the UH System Board of Regents, UHD is operating in Step 2- Orange.
- UHD will communicate updates via the website and other campus communication mechanisms.
Fall 2020 Semester
Health & Safety
- The following safety protocols have been implemented at UHD to ensure a safe return to campus:
- Online COVID-19 training module and certification required of students, faculty and staff before return to campus.
- Public awareness campaign, COVID-19 website, and signage throughout campuses to provide education and communicate messaging.
- Face coverings while on campuses unless the individual has an approved accommodation.
- Physical distancing implemented – reduced capacity in classrooms, campus spaces, auxiliaries, rearranging of classroom seating and workspaces; assess installation of barriers; flexible work schedules; online learning options; and encouragement of virtual meetings.
- Enhanced cleaning protocols employed throughout campuses, including frequent cleaning of instructional spaces and high-touch points, and cleaning response protocol for disinfection of areas impacted by positive COVID-19 cases.
- Hygiene enhancements throughout campuses, including availability of hand sanitizer, cleaning products, and assessing HVAC systems.
- A range of academic options available to provide for multi-modality of instruction.
- Faculty, staff, and students required to perform daily self-health assessment to screen for symptoms before coming to campus; visitors and vendors required to perform self health assessment to screen for symptoms before coming to campus.
- Protocols in place for students, faculty, and staff for reporting of COVID-19 symptoms, positive case or diagnosis, or potential exposure including:
- Self-quarantine if exposed
- Self-isolation upon positive case or diagnosis
- Contact tracing to identify exposed UHS community members
- Handling of return to campuses following self-quarantine/self-isolation
- Establishment of a COVID-19 Response Coordinator as point of contact for handling of positive case/exposure issues
- If you are a student who is experiencing anxiety or stress because of COVID-19, please consider contacting Counseling Services by phone or video at 713-500-3852.
- Student Health Services will answer health-related questions by phone – 713-221-8137
- Students, Faculty and Staff must report COVID-19 diagnosis and possible exposure. In addition, individuals who have been quarantined must request permission to return to campus.
- Since March, UHD has awarded nearly $3.5 million in financial assistance to qualified students. These funds include private donations and federal assistance from the Higher Education Emergency Relief Funds (authorized by the CARES Act). While applications for Emergency Funding are now closed, students are encouraged to complete their FAFSA as soon as possible, to ensure maximum financial aid for fall.
- If you are a student, and have needs related to the technology required for online classes, please complete the
Technology Needs Survey.
Travel & Prevention Statement
The University of Houston-Downtown has updated its travel restriction and is restricting university-sanctioned travel for business or study through December 31, 2020. Exceptions will be processed by vice presidents for domestic business-related travel.
Return from International Travel
Faculty, staff and students returning from international travel, university-sanctioned or personal, are required to self-quarantine for 14 days upon return to the United States. The requirement for self-quarantine includes international students who are traveling to the U.S. for fall classes.
Update Contact Information to Receive Updates
UHD faculty, students and staff are encouraged to update their contact information online to ensure they receive timely notices regarding the University's responses to COVID-19.