UH System Update on Federal Stimulus Legislation
Please read the communication from the University of Houston System Chancellor about the stimulus and its impact on UHD.More Details
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Update
One UHD employee has tested positive for COVID-19. It has been more than three weeks since the employee has been on campus. The employee is currently under medical care and the University is coordinating with city health authorities. If, during the course of investigation, it is determined that someone is at risk, the person will be contacted directly by UHD or city health authorities.
Online Classes and Campus Operations
- All UHD classes will take place online for the remainder of the semester starting March 23.
- All summer classes scheduled to start before July 1 (May mini session, early Summer classes) will be conducted online. The University continues to monitor the pandemic’s impact on Houston and will assess when future classes can return to their regular format.
- Campus operations are being conducted online from March 23 to April 30. With the exception of essential personnel, faculty and staff are telecommuting.
- There is limited access to campus. Faculty and staff needing access to the campus during this time must present a photo ID at the UHD Police Department in order to enter the One Main Building. Key Fob access will be required to enter other campus buildings.
- UHD’s off-site centers at UHD Northwest, Lone Star-Kingwood, and Lone Star-CyFair are closed. All classes offered from these locations are also online as of March 23.
- Information for faculty and staff telecommuting is available on the ESO web page.
- Information for faculty transitioning to online courses can be found at Keep on Teaching UHD.
Important Updates for Students
- UHD will host its second Virtual Town Hall Meeting at noon, April 2 on the UHD Registrar’s Facebook page. The topic is Financial Aid and students are encouraged to submit advance questions to email@example.com with “Financial Aid Town Hall Question” in the subject line. The Town Hall also will be shared on UHD’s official Facebook page and archived on YouTube.
- Spring Commencement is postponed until late summer or early fall (date to be determined).
- Eligible students will still graduate on-time despite this delay and diplomas will be mailed to graduates through the U.S. Postal Service.
- UHD broadcasted a town hall-style meeting about Commencement on Facebook Live. This meeting is the first of a series dedicated to answering questions related to topics of interest to students. All Facebook Live town halls will be archived on YouTube and shared on multiple platforms for those who cannot participate during the live events. Follow the official Facebook pages for the UHD Registrar and UHD for updates.
- UHD approved a new grading option to further support students as they move to online learning environments and cope with COVID-19. Students will have the option of selecting a traditional letter grade (A – F) or electing for Satisfactory (passing with credits applied to transcript) or Unsatisfactory (failing with no credits earned). Additional details on this change can be found on the Interim Grading Option page on the UHD Registrar's Website.
- For those students who paid for Spring, 2020 parking, UHD will provide partial refunds for the period that the campus was not conducting on-campus classes. Details on how the refund process will be handled can be found on the University’s Parking & Transportation website.
UHD is preparing to offer compensated telecommuting options to student employees (work study, non-work study). Detailed information will be communicated to student employees by their supervisors.
If you are experiencing anxiety or stress because of COVID-19, please consider contacting Counseling Services by phone or video at 713-500-3852.
- Student Health Services will answer health-related questions by phone – 713-221-8137
Travel & Prevention Statement
UHD continues to monitor the outbreak of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and is implementing policies aimed at minimizing the risk to faculty, staff and students. These include an expanded travel policy restricting all domestic and international travel through at least the end of April 2020. For faculty, staff, and students who are considering personal travel at this time, please give careful consideration to the risks involved and make wise decisions that take into account your personal health, the health and wellbeing of those around you, and the health of the entire UHD community.
The University also requires faculty, staff and students who have traveled to any international country to self-quarantine for 14 days following their return. UHD community members who have traveled internationally since February 1 AND/OR are planning travel to these destinations are required to
submit this travel registration form. If a 14-day self-quarantine period is required, faculty, staff and students will need to complete a
Request to Return to Campus Form at the end of this self-quarantine period and may not access any UHD campus (UHD, Kingwood, Northwest, Cy-Fair, Coleman) until cleared to return.
As the COVID-19 outbreak continues to be a developing situation in our city, state and nation, these policies will be updated as needed. Continue to check back on this site for policy updates. Additionally, the University will continue to notify faculty, staff and students regarding policy updates and other details related to the Coronavirus.
Update Contact Information to Receive Updates
UHD faculty, students and staff are encouraged to
update their contact information online to ensure they receive timely notices regarding the University's responses to COVID-19.