Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
Section 61.0225 of the Texas Education Code authorizes the Governor to appoint a
non-voting student representative to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) for a term not to exceed one year beginning on June 1, 2018 and ending on May 31, 2019.
To aid the Governor in his selection, the President of each University will recommend students based on applications provided by the Student Government Association (SGA).
Applications should be received by the Student Government Association (Room S210) by Wednesday, December 6, 2017 for full consideration. The SGA will make recommendations to the Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Services. The Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Services will make recommendations to the President, who will nominate to the Governor. The application (due Wednesday, December 6, 2017) must follow the Governor's Appointments Division requirements, including the following documents:
- Be enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student in a public institution of higher education;
- Be in good academic standing;
Commit to fulfill all board related responsibilities during their term of service, to include
attendance at no less than 3 of the 4 quarterly board meetings, and 3 of the 4 board
committee meetings as scheduled; and
- Have a strong drive and self-motivation to contribute to the progress of higher education in Texas.
If appointed, the student representative must continue to meet the following criteria for the length of his or her term:
- maintain a GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale;
- maintain enrollment at a public institution of higher education for the duration of the term; and
- maintain a state-wide perspective on higher education (as opposed to representing any single college or university).
For more information contact the Student Government Association at (713) 221-8570 or the Office of Student Affairs at (713) 221-8100.