The APC Family Law
courses will prepare you to apply the skills you have obtained through your
paralegal certificate course, or experience in the legal field, to the practice
of family law. Skills include:
1. Client Intake for each matter;
2. Preparation of an Enforcement for non-payment of child support;
3. Preparation for Enforcement Hearing;
4. Preparation of Order on Enforcement;
5. Preparation of Suit for Modification of Prior Order (modification of child support and visitation);
6. Preparation of a Suit for Parentage;
7. Propounding discovery that’s appropriate for each issue;
8. Preparing for mediation;
9. Preparation of ancillary motions and Orders – Motion to Compel Discovery, Motion to Withdraw, Motion for Continuance, Motion for Additional Temporary Orders, and other case specific motions.
10. Court-Specific requirements, County-Specific requirements, Scheduling orders & calendaring;
11. Review of docketing due dates when a case is set for trial;
12. Trial/Hearing prep, exhibits;
13. Preparation of Final Order in Suit Affecting Parent/Child Relationship;
14. Closing out the case;
Vanetta Peterson has more than 40 years of paralegal experience, including 30 years as a family law paralegal. She received her Board Certification in Family Law from the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in 2002. In 2010 and 2011, she served as the CLE Co-Chair for the District 1, Paralegal Division of the State Bar of Texas. She was the Chair of the Houston Area Paralegal Association-Family Law from 2004 to 2007. Currently a member of the Paralegal Division of the State Bar of Texas, the Family Law Section of the State Bar of Texas, and the Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists, Vanetta is a frequent speaker at family law seminars. Vanetta brings a treasure trove of knowledge combined with “in the trenches” experience to the Advanced Paralegal Certificate Family Law Program, which consists of two individual courses, each covering different topics and skills.
Schedule: April 6, 13, 27, May 4, 11, 18, 2019 (Saturdays 9 am to 12 noon)
Fees: $995.00 ($50 discount if registered 10 working days before the scheduled start of the course).
In order to register for this course, you must have a paralegal certificate, a paralegal degree, or three years of experience performing substantive legal work as a paralegal under the supervision of an attorney.
Registration: Click to Register