- Open to all students in grades 8–11 who have participated in a Duke TIP Talent Search or been identified as academically gifted or talented by local school criteria.
- Meets on the University of Houston - Main Campus for two days of intensive academic study.
- Students enroll in one class and explore material typically not included in school curricula.
- $425 tuition for the weekend covers housing, food, and academic activities ($375 for day students). Save by registering Early - $395 for the Weekend program and $345 for day attendance (on or before March 18, 2019).
- Overnight students stay at the Doubletree Hotel, supervised by TIP residential counselors.
Students and parents check in on Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.; parents may leave once a student has checked in. Students leave Campus at 8:30 p.m. for overnight stay at the Doubletree Hotel. Parents may attend the closing meeting on Campus on Sunday afternoon at 4:15 p.m.; students should depart at 4:30 p.m. A complete itinerary will be mailed to each student upon acceptance to a Scholar Weekend.
Duke TIP Scholar Weekends are open to all 8th-11th graders who have either participated in the Duke TIP Talent Search or been identified as academically gifted/talented by local school criteria. Students may attend more than one Scholar Weekend per year.
- $425 tuition per weekend covers housing, food, and academic activities ($375 for day students). Early Registration - $395 for weekend program and $375 for day student (on or before March 18, 2019)
- Financial aid is available for qualified applicants. Please call 713-221-8032 for details.
Financial aid is available on a first-come, first-served basis to families who demonstrate need. Each student with need may only receive financial aid once during the academic year 2018-19. To apply for financial aid, submit your application with your family’s 2018 Federal Income Tax Return (1040) and all applicable schedules. Upon notification of receipt of a financial aid award, your check for the balance of the tuition is due within 10 days. If your check is not received within 10 days of award notification, your financial aid and program slot may be offered to another student.
- Complete the online registration and pay the required fee online or mail the check in 10 working days after completion of the online registration form.
- Participants will be placed on a first-come, first served basis in the selected course. Scholar Weekend courses are quite popular and fill quickly. Applicants unable to be placed in the selected course will be placed on a waiting list. Applicants will be notified of waitlist status and when a course becomes available.
- Upon acceptance, additional information about the weekend will be sent by US Mail.
- If student is unable to attend, TIP program must be notified immediately. (Financial Aid award recipients must send a check for any balance owed within 10 days of notification.)
Cancellations must be made 10 business days in advance of the beginning of the weekend; you must notify TIP program by email to ensure a full refund less $50 processing fee. After that time, cancellations will result in forfeiture of payment except in the case of: illness (with doctor’s note on letterhead); death of immediate family member; or inclement weather. Refunds usually take 4 weeks to process.