Center for Retail Management
Visit Center for Retail Management for information on its academic and certificate programs
View the story of Etail/Retail UHD’s retail immersion class for high school students
Tracy Davis, director of the Center for Retail Management at the University of Houston-Downtown since 2011, has a 40-year long career in retail, specifically in the supermarket business.
Davis is a great example of how an exciting and lucrative career in retailing can start with one small step:
- His career began humbly when he got a job sacking groceries at the age of 15.
- Thanks to a strong work ethic, positive attitude and a thirst for knowledge about the business, it wasn’t long before he was managing six Safeway stores.
- Davis moved from store manager to district manager, and soon became Vice President of Grocery Merchandising for Safeway.
- In 1990, Safeway sold their Houston division and Davis was on the ground floor of development in forming AppleTree Markets.
- In 1994, he became AppleTree’s Executive Vice President for Marketing and Operations.
Davis has served on the board of directors for the Texas Retailers Association since 2000, and has participated in numerous industry committees and discussion panels.
In 2006, he was honored by the Better Business Bureau with the Torch Award for Marketplace Ethics.