Skip to main content

Employee Resources and FAQs

Shelter and Relief

  • Emergencies: 9-1-1
  • State Emergency Assistance Registry: 2-1-1
  • Group Rescues: 713-426-4904
  • Disaster Distress Help Line: 1-800-985-5990
  • City of Houston Emergency Information
  • City of Houston Non-Emergency/Report Flooding: 3-1-1 or 713-837-0311
  • HPD Non-Emergency: 713-526-8300

Useful Information

Emergency Management Offices

Disaster Recovery & Assistance

Volunteer Opportunities


Frequently Asked Questions

Will payroll run as usual?
The direct deposit of employees' salaries scheduled for Friday, September 1, 2017, will be processed as originally scheduled. This includes the August 2017 payroll for exempt (monthly) employees and the bi-weekly payroll for non-exempt (hourly) employees for the pay period of Wednesday, August 9 through Tuesday, August 22, 2017.

Will I receive pay for the days the campus was closed?
Further information concerning payroll processing during university closure days will be sent to employees by email.

As a manager, how can I help my employees affected by the hurricane?
Visit UTEAP Manager Suggestions for helpful suggestions on how to ensure your employees are safe.

How can I help employees and students who have suffered losses?
Information on volunteer opportunities will be posted soon. In the meantime, check in with your UHD family on Facebook and determine if you can lend a hand to one of your fellow Gators.

Where can I get help if I or a member of my family is having a hard time emotionally coping with the disaster?
As a UHD employee, you and your family have access to our Employee Assistance Program (UTEAP) and its resources. Please contact UTEAP at 713-500-3327 or 800-346-3549. In addition, please review the following resources:

Can I obtain an emergency loan against my TDA funds?

Employees who have a tax deferred annuity (TDA) may be able to obtain emergency loans against their funds at very low interest rates, typically lower than banks or credit unions.

If you have a TDA, contact your provider and inquire about a possible emergency loan. The list of providers and their contact information may be found here.

Do I qualify for unemployment benefits?
Benefits-eligible employees will receive weather-related emergency leave (WREL), which President Munoz granted, for the period of time the University was closed and, thus, do not qualify for unemployment benefits. However, non-benefits-eligible employees, such as temporary employees and student workers who do not qualify for WREL may look into Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) through the Texas Workforce Commission. Details may be found here.

What childcare resources does UHD provide?
The UHD Child Watch Center, located on the second floor of the One Main Building, is a support service for UHD staff, faculty, and currently enrolled UHD students that need a reliable, safe, and fun environment for their children while working or attending class, and will resume services on Tuesday, September 5th. The center hours are 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday. This service is currently available in four-hour blocks, for up to 12 hours per week, for no more than three days per week. UHD has requested a temporary waiver of these restrictions for our Child Watch Center with the state of Texas. As soon as a reply is received, it will communicated to the University community. Visit this page to get more information.

Last updated 11/25/2019 10:38 AM