Exemptions are a type of financial assistance allowing some Texas residents to attend a public college or university in Texas without paying tuition or, in some cases, tuition and fees.
Process for Students:
Proof of Qualification must be submitted prior to the first semester of use and can be submitted via fax, email, or in person at the Student Accounting Office S320.
Deadlines for Students:
Student accounting reserves the right not to accept Exemptions after the Official Day of Record for the term the exemption is being utilized for.
|Fall 2021 Regular Session||September 8, 2021|
|Fall 2021 Eight Week First||September 8, 2021|
|Fall 2021 Eight Week Second||October 19, 2021|
*Payment for fees not covered by exemption/waiver or alternate payment arrangements must be submitted by the Payment Deadline to secure enrollment.
Listed below are the exemption programs available to Texas residents.
Exemptions Offered by UHD
- Adopted Students Formerly under the Conservatorship of the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (TDFPS)
- Blind/Deaf Student Exemption Program
- Children of Disabled or Deceased Firemen, Peace Officers, Game Wardens, and Employees of Correctional Institutions
- Combat Exemption for Children of Military Service Members
- Exemption for Highest Ranking High School Graduate
- Exemption for Peace Officers Disabled in the Line of Duty
- Exemption for Peace Officers Enrolled in Law Enforcement or Criminal Justice Courses
- Exemption for Students Enrolled in Courses for Dual High School and College-Level Credit
- Exemption for the Surviving Spouse and Minor Children of Certain Deceased Public Servants (Employees)
- Exemption Program for Clinical Preceptors and Their Children
- Firefighters Taking Fire Science Courses (not applicable to BAAS-AA-Applied Public Administration – Fire and Police Track program)
- Good Neighbor Scholarship Program
- Military: Children of U.S. Military who are Missing in Action or Prisoners of War (MIA/POWs)
- Military: Orphans of Texas Members of the U.S. Armed Forces or National Guard
- Tuition Exemption for Current or Former Foster Care Students under the Conservatorship of the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (TDFPS)
Optional Exemptions: Not Currently Offered at UHD
- Educational Aide Exemption
- Exemption Program for Children of Professional Nursing Program Faculty and Staff
- Senior Citizen, 55 or Older, Tuition Reduction Program
- Senior Citizen, 65 or Older, Free Tuition for 6 Credit Hours
- Senior Citizen, 65 or Older, Free Tuition for Auditing Classes