UHD Main Career Development Center (CDC) is excited to help your students prepare for career success. There are a number of opportunities to partner with our career coach liaisons assigned to each college to facilitate career readiness in the classroom or with your student organization.
As you finalize your syllabus each semester, we hope you will consider ways to encourage your students to develop transferable skills and engage in career development.
Review our resources below and connect with us to help your students become self-aware, professionally developed, and career ready.
Here are four ways to promote the UHD Main Career Development Center:
- Promote UHD Main CDC resources to your students
- Integrate career related topics in your curriculum
- Request a classroom presentation
- Collaborate with the CDC
How can I make my classes more career focused?
Incorporate career related content into your syllabus
- Give points or extra credit for attending relevant career events (workshops, information sessions, career fairs)
- Adapt a current assignment to include specific career tasks
- create a resume and make an appointment at the Main Career Development Center (CDC)
- create a LinkedIn profile and connect with alumnus in your field
- do an informational interview with a professional in a position that interests you
- fill out your entire Jobs for Gators profile and upload your resume
- do a mock interview
- Ask the Career Coach liaison for your college to provide a career related slide(s) to show at the beginning of your class
- Bring your class to CDC for a tour
NACE Career Readiness Competencies
LinkedIn Profile Checklist
How to Write a Reference Letter
Résumé/CV & Cover Letters
Class Presentations for Your Students
Partner with your liaison to identify unique Career Center programs and services to support your students’ career exploration, job/internship search, and graduate success.
Ask a staff member to speak to your class or organization! If you will be traveling to a conference or just out of town -- DON'T CANCEL CLASS! We are happy to step in while you are away to speak to your students about career development topics.
Schedule an in-class presentation from a Career Coach
CDC has put together a number of presentations to assist you in infusing career and professional development objectives into your syllabi. Presentations can be 15 minutes in length up to 1.5 hours in length depending on the topic. Request a presentation as soon as possible, since presentation slots fill up fast! Below you will find the options for the upcoming year:
- Career Development Center Overview
- Focused Resumes: Writing a Resume for the Job You Want
- CV’s and Personal Statements for Graduate/Professional Schools
- Interview Success Tips
- Personal Branding: Creating a Powerful Online Identity (i.e., LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.)
- Networking - Cultivating Professional Connections
- Leveraging the Career Marketability of Your Major
- Making the Most of a Career Fair
Here are guidelines/expectations:
- Requests should be submitted at least three (3) weeks prior to the anticipated presentation date
- Two (2) requests allowed per class per semester (contact us if you have multiple sections)
- Requests are filled on a first-come, first-served basis
- We try to accommodate each request. In rare circumstances we may not be able to assist due to other engagements or conflicts. UHD Main CDC staff may not be available for presentations two (2) weeks prior to our job fairs (See events tab)
To schedule an in-class presentation or faculty training, please click here:
Request a Training
Freshman Seminar Resources
FOCUS 2 Career & Major Exploration - We encourage faculty to take
Focus 2 in order to get a sense of a student’s experience with the inventory.
Getting Started with FOCUS 2
FOCUS 2 FYE Sample Syllabus Part 1 - CAREER PLANNING PROCESS, READINESS, & SELF ASSESSMENT
FOCUS 2 FYE Sample Syllabus Part 2 - EXPLORING OCCUPATIONS & ACTION PLANNING
FOCUS 2 Student Workbook
4 Year Career Preparation Checklist and Competencies
Although career development is a lifelong process, career preparation must start early! The earlier a student starts career planning the more their chances for success improve. Conversely, it is never too late for students to begin taking action steps toward a career goal. Utilizing the CDC 4 Year Career Plan worksheets will help you help your students complete action items allowing them to explore, engage, prepare and achieve along the way to develop career readiness skills that lead to career success.
4 Year Career Plan
Year 1 Career Plan Worksheet
Year 2 Career Plan Worksheet
Year 3 Career Plan Worksheet
Year 4 Career Plan Worksheet
Collaborate with Career Coach Liaison
- Refer interested employers to the CDC for recruitment opportunities.
- Recommend students for internship, volunteer and/or job opportunities. There are time when employers are looking for a specific skill set and don’t wish to post positions within Jobs4Gators. Please respond to your liaison’s email regarding these requests.
- Meet one on one with the Career Coach liaison with your college to discuss more ideas and options specific to your needs!