Patient Rights and Responsibilities
All patients of the UHD Student Health Services have certain rights, including the right to privacy, respect, professionalism, and competent medical care. Patients also carry certain responsibilities to help optimize the care received.
The goal of the UHD Student Health Services is to provide all patients with high quality health care in a manner that clearly recognizes individuals’ needs and rights. In order to effectively accomplish this goal, the patient and the health care provider must work together to develop and maintain optimum health. As a result, the following patient rights and responsibilities were developed.
- Patients have the right to be treated with respect, consideration, and dignity.
- Patients have the right to be provided with appropriate privacy.
- Patients have the right to the degree known, to have complete information concerning their diagnosis, evaluation, treatment, and prognosis.
- Patients have the right to participate in decisions involving their health care, except when such participation is contraindicated for medical reasons.
- Patients have the right to refuse to medical treatment.
- Patients have the right to express grievances; to receive a personal response to the same; and to have continued access to care without intimidation, threat, discrimination, or other retaliatory action. No patient will be asked to waive their rights, including the right to file a complaint.
- Patients have the right to information for available services, fees for services, payment policies, and provider credentialing.
- Patients have the right under Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) Privacy Rules to the following: to respect limitations on their medical information, to confidential communications, to inspect and request a copy of their medical information, to request amendment for their medical information, to request accounting disclosures, and to a copy of the Notice of Privacy Practices.
- Patients have the responsibility to provide accurate and complete information about current and past illnesses, medications, and other matters pertaining to their health.
- Patients have the responsibility to follow the treatment plan recommended by their healthcare provider or to express concerns regarding their ability to comply.
- Patients are responsible for their actions if they refuse treatment or do not follow the healthcare provider’s instructions.
- Patients have the responsibility to arrive 15 minutes prior to their scheduled appointment to follow appropriate time to complete the check-in process and to cancel in advance appointments they cannot keep.
- Patients have the responsibility to become informed of the scope of basic services offered as well as the costs and to actively seek clarification of any aspect of participation in services and programs this is not understood.
- Patients have the responsibility to accept personal responsibility for all charges not covered by their Student Health Insurance plan, if applicable.
- Patients have the responsibility to be respectful to all of the UHD Student Health Services providers and staff, and other patients.
- Patients have the responsibility to conform to all UHD and University of Houston-System policies and procedures.